[SOLVED] SATA Power for AIO pumps?

Banqu0

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2015
I'm Building a new rig and am opting for an AIO on account of not wanting a heavy cooling unit on the motherboard which may cause damage when moved. There are 2 that I am considering. The Corsair Hydro Series H60 and the be quiet! BW005 Pure Loop 120mm. Both coolers come with SATA power splitters that power the pumps, and this gives me pause. Since most PSUs only have but 6 SATA connectors and I plan on using all 6, won't a splitter effect the amount of juice going to my drives? My MOBO does not have a pump header, and I'm assuming the SATA power connector is due to power requirements for the pump. Has anyone had any experience with this means of powering an AIO? Is there an alternative to using a SATA splitter?

Solution
Those 6 Sata power connectors are all on 1 or 2 chains anyways, so are basically already split. Each Sata connector can handle upto 4.5A at 12v, around 50w, and an Aio pump uses around 2w.

Most SSDs use 5v, so pull power on a different wire, most hdds use a mix of 5v and 12v but still typically pull around 10w each.

Power consumption isn't a concern, splittered or not.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Those 6 Sata power connectors are all on 1 or 2 chains anyways, so are basically already split. Each Sata connector can handle upto 4.5A at 12v, around 50w, and an Aio pump uses around 2w.

Most SSDs use 5v, so pull power on a different wire, most hdds use a mix of 5v and 12v but still typically pull around 10w each.

Solution

Banqu0

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2015

So a Seasonic S12III 650 SSR-650GB3 650W would be sufficient? What is the typical power output of fan headers as I'm wondering if I those would be an option?

TRENDING THREADS