Question SATA vs NVMe SSDs- will I see a difference in boot time ?

Dimitri001

Honorable
Oct 11, 2019
I was watching a buyer's guide video and they said the speed differences between SATA and NVMe SSDs don't translate into a noticable difference in boot times, is that right?

Also, I'm one of those people who have 500 tabs open in Firefox, which results in Firefox often taking a long time to start, would I see a difference in start speed of Firefox between SATA and NVMe?

Basically no, not really.

You might measure a slight difference with a stopwatch, but day to day you'll not notice a real difference.

Maybe for things where a large amount of sequential data is loaded, e.g. game levels on AAA games, but even then you're talking a few seconds less.

NVMe certainly isn't a bad thing, but the speed advantage over SATA SSD in real world day to day use is nothing like the experience of going from HDD to SSD.

Also, I'm one of those people who have 500 tabs open in Firefox, which results in Firefox often taking a long time to start, would I see a difference in start speed of firefox between SATA and NVME?
When you open Firefox and it opens those 500 tabs, it'll be loading some cached data from the hard drive and some from the internet. Again, SATA SSD/NVMe will be little tangible difference. If you need that to speed up, have less tabs open, lots more RAM and/or a faster internet connection.