Question SATA vs NVMe SSDs- will I see a difference in boot time ?

Dimitri001

Honorable
Oct 11, 2019
I was watching a buyer's guide video and they said the speed differences between SATA and NVMe SSDs don't translate into a noticable difference in boot times, is that right?

Also, I'm one of those people who have 500 tabs open in Firefox, which results in Firefox often taking a long time to start, would I see a difference in start speed of Firefox between SATA and NVMe?

Basically no, not really.

You might measure a slight difference with a stopwatch, but day to day you'll not notice a real difference.

Maybe for things where a large amount of sequential data is loaded, e.g. game levels on AAA games, but even then you're talking a few seconds less.

NVMe certainly isn't a bad thing, but the speed advantage over SATA SSD in real world day to day use is nothing like the experience of going from HDD to SSD.

Also, I'm one of those people who have 500 tabs open in Firefox, which results in Firefox often taking a long time to start, would I see a difference in start speed of firefox between SATA and NVME?
When you open Firefox and it opens those 500 tabs, it'll be loading some cached data from the hard drive and some from the internet. Again, SATA SSD/NVMe will be little tangible difference. If you need that to speed up, have less tabs open, lots more RAM and/or a faster internet connection.

I was watching a buyer's guide video and they said the speed differences between SATA and NVMe SSDs don't translate into a noticable difference in boot times, is that right?

Also, I'm one of those people who have 500 tabs open in Firefox, which results in Firefox often taking a long time to start, would I see a difference in start speed of Firefox between SATA and NVMe?
NVMe is not even compatible with that system and even SATA SSD would run at half speed

Replace the hdd with a 2.5 sata ssd.

Just curious when you have all those tabs loaded how can you even find the tab you want?

USAFRet

Titan
I'm updating the PC, the SSD is not going to be inserted into the configuration from the sig. The question is would I gain any boot speed or Firefox start speed with NVMe over a SATA SSD.
Building a whole new system in 2024, yes, you would get an NVMe drive for the OS.

But 'boot time' is a poor metric to chase. That depends on a LOT of factors, primarily software.

Reactions: geofelt
I'm updating the PC, the SSD is not going to be inserted into the configuration from the sig. The question is would I gain any boot speed or Firefox start speed with NVMe over a SATA SSD.
Yes, maybe little but NVMe drives are now at same price point or even cheaper than SATA but so much easier to use without any cables needed. Not only that they are multiple times faster but are also easier on system, using less resources.

pcie devices are considerably faster than sata in sequential read operations.
A virus scan, for instance.
Perhaps even with fast boot where the load is a sequential read.
On random i/o operations, sata and pcie are comparable
That is what windows does 90% of the time.
Today, m.2 devices are comparable in price to 2.5" devices
On your new build, plan on a single m.2 device large enough to hold all you need plus some.
There is no performance advantage to multiple devices.