Save $500 dollars by switching an SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

koon921

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Ultrabooks with SSD's are extremely tempting though, the price is just ridiculous.

I see that they are fast (soley due to SSD's) but if you see hard enough the actual components aren't any better than

regular laptops.

So in the case of Samsung laptops. I found these two.

Regular laptop >>>>>>>>>>>>Ultrabook
Samsung Series 7 NP700Z5A-S09US and Samsung Series 9 900X4B
8gb memory >>>>>>>>>>>>8gb memory
15.6" screen >>>>>>>>>>>>15" screen
1600x900 >>>>>>>>>>>>1600x900
Core i5 2450M >>>>>>>>>>>>Core i5 2467M
500 HDD >>>>>>>>>>>>126 SSD
AMD Radeon 6750m (beast) intel GPU
8 cell li ion >>>>>>>>>>>>8 cell li ion
$800 >>>>>>>>>>>> $1300

So from these comparisons, I found out that the ultrabook is just a rip off only with an amazing design.

Tigerdirect tech support said I could install an SSD into the series 7 laptop without a problem.
But is it true? If I actually bought the series 7 and switched the HD, will I get the full benefits of the SSD?
Am I gonna need a BIOS update to optimize the SSD? Confused.

Also, before I do this if there is anything I should know, please tell me.

Help me out.

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Well, it costs more money to fit those parts in a smaller enclosure, and it also costs the manufacturer money to license the ultrabook name from intel.

You could buy the $800 dollar laptop and put a 480GB SSD in it (around $500 nowadays) for a total cost that is the same as the ultrabook. You are just sacrificing portability.

koon921

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

So you are actually telling me that the light design affects the performance?
I am so sorry for not mentioning that this was a performance wise comparison.
I apologize that. I thought you'd get it when I said it has an amazing design.

Just based on performance, many many many systems can be built for cheaper. A simple 14.1" screen Dell can be faster than a loaded Sony with a 17" screen that costs 2x the price.

The price you are paying has a lot do with the design and form factor, there is no real "rip off". If you want small, neat and fast, it will usually cost more than large fat and fast.

What I was saying is that the design affects the price.

koon921

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

I assume you are wrong. The samsung series 7 is by far the best for 800 bucks.
Trust me, I've been looking for the best laptop for a month straight now.
And again, a simple 14.1 is probably a low resolution, which accounts as a performance. If you can find a laptop with a better gpu, I will buy you the laptop.

Once again samsung 7 series has the longest lasting batter, 15.6", outstanding gpu, and decent screen resolution.
I don't understand how you deviated from the topic but I see that the first person taht answered me pretty much solved the problem.

Thanks anyways.

ram1009

Distinguished
IMHO, the real benefit to an SSD is not speed but rather reliability. The only speed differences you'll notice day to day is in loading programs and that quickly becomes the norm. Conversely reliability has to be exponentially better with no moving parts. Don't think so? Try dropping a laptop with & without an SSD.

koon921

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Yes, but I see a bunch of videos of ppl showing the results of SSD performances and they are significantly greater than HDDs..
So it has to be both liability and speed. But right now, I want a laptop that can boot up and do stuff like an ultrabook but cheaper.

geotek

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

You would think SSDs would be more reliable but right now they seem fail more frequently than HDDs, maybe not against dropped laptops obviously but overall if you do some research online and ive talked to people who work at computer shops have been having more problems with SSDs, though they say its getting better.

koon921

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

True, I see a lot of peaple complaining about SDD failures within a year of use.

Have 12 SSDs, 6 different Brands) one dating back to Intel’s G1 – NOT one failure
128 Gig Crucial M4 498 Reviews, Only 7% 1 and 2 egg ratings
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0SF0BD7251&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo
128 Gig Samsung 830 107 Reviews, Only 9% 1 and 2 egg ratings
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147134
Something screwy at newegg on total review Numbers.

Compare that to the WD 1 TB Black (19% 1 + 2 egg ratings), or the Samsung F3 1 TB HDD (15% 1 + 2 egg ratings)
The WD Blue and Green 1 and two egg ratings are – OUCH.

So you want a niche product at a lesser price? just pick the lightest laptop you can find and trade out the hdd for an SSD and it will be kinda sorta the same thing.

But to buy a laptop like an ultrabook (small form factor, fast booting, etc) you will have to buy an ultrabook (or a slim netbook, or tablet but meh)

koon921

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

What I want is a laptop with the performance of ultrabooks, like fast booting and stuff, which directly relates to SSDs.
So What I was saying was, I should get a regular laptop and just switch the HDD to SSD so it's just like an ultrabook without the design and light weight.

blakphoenix

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010

We cannot answer that question for you. Why has no one asked what will you be using the laptop for?

What it comes down to is this:
If you want speed while being very portable & having good battery life get an ultrabook.
If you want speed and don't mind a heavy/bulky laptop get a performance laptop.

The difference? Portability & battery life vs performance. Ultrabooks aren't the fastest laptops around, they use ULV processors and don't get dedicated graphics cards but they are nice looking, portable and VERY good with their battery usage. If you don't care for these things then get a performance laptop and put an ssd in it, if you do care fro these things then get an ultra book.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012

You know, most people think the exact opposite.

SSD and waiting for Disk I/O is by far the thing that is holding back productivity and what makes a computer seem slow or fast. Go watch those youtube videos again, and it will make everything snappier.

Unless you are runing numerical calcuations or modelling/rendering where you go run a 2hour render and are actually limited by CPU,

SSD by far is the best performance upgrade you can make for your computer way over cpu or anything else..

This is a no-brainer decision for new desktops where it may only be $100-$150 or so.
When you're dealing with notebooks when you're stuck paying the manufacturer way too much for SSD, you may need to think it over.

koon921

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

Hey, you are missing the entire point of ultrabooks. I don't even have to explain this. Just go look up 'SSD' on google.

koon921

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

Ok, so what should I do....? get a 800 buck shitty ultrabook with an ssd or a 800 buck laptop then ssd?

Again, to all those iliterate people (not raytseng), understand the implication. I DO NOT CARE MUCH ABOUT the DESIGN.
Ultrabooks are light and small. So what? It's only small by ******* 2 inches. If the weight determines such portability, man you are just a mothafacking weak piece of ***.

/sigh

This thread is more or less answered and just turned into mudslinging. Get what you want, we have displayed the benefits and drawbacks of each system, there is nothing more to add.

Status
Not open for further replies.