Save Tom's, Stop SOPA

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toorudez

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2002
"The bill would authorize the U.S. Department of Justice to seek court orders against websites outside U.S. jurisdiction accused of infringing on copyrights, or of enabling or facilitating copyright infringement. After delivering a court order, the U.S. Attorney General could require US-directed Internet service providers, ad networks, and payment processors to suspend doing business with sites found to infringe on federal criminal intellectual property laws. The Attorney General could also bar search engines from displaying links to the sites.

The bill also establishes a two-step process for intellectual property rights holders to seek relief if they have been harmed by a site dedicated to infringement. The rights holder must first notify, in writing, related payment facilitators and ad networks of the identity of the website, who, in turn, must then forward that notification and suspend services to that identified website, unless that site provides a counter notification explaining how it is not in violation. The rights holder can then sue for limited injunctive relief against the site operator, if such a counter notification is provided, or if the payment or advertising services fail to suspend service in the absence of a counter notification.

The bill provides immunity from liability to the ad and payment networks that comply with this Act or that take voluntary action to cut ties to such sites. Any copyright holder who knowingly misrepresents that a website is dedicated to infringement would be liable for damages. The second section increases the penalties for streaming video and for selling counterfeit drugs, military materials or consumer goods. The bill would make unauthorized streaming of copyrighted content a felony.

According to co-sponsor Representative Bob Goodlatte (R-VA), chairman of the House Judiciary Committee's Intellectual Property sub-panel, SOPA represents a rewrite of the PROTECT IP Act to address tech industry concerns. Goodlatte told The Hill that the new version requires court approval for action against search engines. The Senate version, PROTECT IP, does not.

The Domain Name System (DNS) servers, most often equated with a phone directory, translate browser requests for domain names into the IP address assigned to that computer or network. The bill requires these servers to stop referring requests for infringing domains to their assigned IP addresses."

This proposed SOPA will affect the entire internet worldwide, not just the US. Image Googling "computer hardware reviews" and any site that has been accused of copyright infringement would not show up, regardless of their location. Good bye internet. You've been a great friend.

G

We need a Protect Democracy Act that audits every member of Congress and if they are found to have cheated on their taxes or accepted money from any person not qualified to vote in their election, they should be stripped of their citizenship.

G

Welcome to a new world folks! Look at our eroding freedoms slowly eroding - seriously do it. This is what happens when you have a government that is too big and powerful. They think they know what is best for the people. It has been steadily growing and dividing us – to make us fight each other. The only way out of this is to stand up, call, vote, do anything to stop this unbridled growth of government – not to mention mortgage our future with ongoing debt they are putting us in.

96ethanh

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
If it passes, how would one even protest? I could go and set up a petition website for the repeal of sopa, and it'd probably just mysteriously dissapear?! Joke's over, united states.

kewlmunky

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
If a revolution would happen in this country within the next five years this Bill will surely be part of the cause. The internet is the most freedom anyone in the world has, taking it away is just disgusting.

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
in the same spirit fot this SOPA:
let's take down the gun companies because people are killing people using guns!!
also don't forget to throw the knife companies to jail because knifes are weapons!!
oh yeah, also put the car companies to court because car crash kills!!
and don't forget to put your governor to jail because the streets are being used by drug dealers to sell drugs!!!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
SOPA could work, but at the same time it would need limitations on its use. Like when frequent DMCA takedown notices go unnoticed, and should only be used in cases where clear profit is being made off of the goods, such as someone is selling a pirated movie, or has blamed advertisement on a pirated movie.

Enforcement of SOPA should also only be in places where there is distribution. If the copyrighted material is not distributed legally and must be imported, SOPA cannot be used.

Copyrights for images and text can not come under the jurisdiction of SOPA, audio is also limited to only a financial selling of it is happening, not just advertisements on the side.

For video only movies, no television, could fall under SOPA.

Again soap would only happen if repeated DMCA takedown's were ignored, and by repeated I mean several hundred legitimate cases.

G

From moderate Arab/Muslim geeks! we say this to ALL AMERICA: SOPA will make all terrorists win, freedom is your last resort, SOPA will kill your freedoms.....watch the last shot of the "Docu. movie"
Inside Job, .....first your money and then your freedoms...don't let this happen, the whole world is watching you!

Tom's Hardware staff, we LOVE YOU!

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Not enough regulations to redistribute the nation's wealth properly, but an increasing amount that's completely against what the forefathers taught for[/citation]

"Redistributing wealth" is something our forefathers would fight against.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]jurassic1024[/nom]I'm Canadian and I tried to vote for you, but it won't let me.[/citation]

Haha you have to send your message to your local representative, and you really don't have one in the U.S.A. because, clearly, you aren't a citizen of our country. :)

I don't have any say-so in Canadian political or governmental decisions either - and that's how it should be.

What you can do, if you really want to help, is make your opinion known in world-wide forums, such as the internet. I think it would be a great idea if citizens of other countries (or no country, for that matter) would also express their shock and outrage that the "land of the free" should even consider such legislation.

;)

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Notice, this is happening in Obama's administration, and is not a Republican supported policy any more than it is Democrat supported. It doesn't take a conservative to try to take away your rights, though some liberals would have you believe only conservatives do that. The sooner people in America realize that, the better off we all will be.

(To be clear, I'm saying that this kind of legislation is just as likely regardless of whose administration it is, whether or not they are Democrat or Republican, I'm not picking on Obama. I'm saying voting for a Democrat won't protect you any more than voting for a Republican will - or vice versa.)

They might speak from different ideologies when they are trying to get elected, but it's how they vote and what they really get behind and get passed that counts. "Actions speak louder than words." Or, they should to the voter, but that's often not the case. Vote by what they do, not by what they say.

juxtaposer

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
The spirit of the H.R. bill seems good: protect U.S. entities from foreign fraud (counterfeit goods, works labeled as genuine that are not) and let credit go (or come) where credit is due. See the specifications of the H.R. Bill at http://thomas.loc.gov/ (search for the Word/Phrase "Stop Online Piracy Act" (H.R.3261) and follow the links on the subsequent pages "Text of legislation" and "Bill PDF".) Let the representatives make sure the letter of the law won't be misconstrued with regards to our concerns with the bill text.

Some stores play DVD movies across multiple display model TVs. Does anyone know if the store obtains a special license? I think the license notice/warning I have seen on some movies prohibits public display. Also, a voiceover during an unboxing video with a musical work in the background is not an independent copy of the musical work.)

kikireeki

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
It is not about Tom's, it is about our life style. They want to choke our last breath of freedom and turn us into law zombies. If this act passes, the year 2012 will really be the end of humanity.

SessouXFX

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Both of these bills are so ineffective, that even Nancy Pelosi can't convince herself to support them. And trust me, that's very telling for their survival.

They have no ideal how this would wreck the Online community at large. Not to mention, it wouldn't even come close to stopping piracy, it would actually do the opposite, convince more people to hack and learn the ropes of piracy online. It would be like "The War on Drugs" of the virtual world...

G

I think this is GREAT! SOPA will make people behave in a new way, be it piracy or straight-out civil war.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Not enough regulations to redistribute the nation's wealth properly, but an increasing amount that's completely against what the forefathers taught for[/citation]

Governments have to rise and fall to redistribute wealth. Historically, it has happened many many times. Perhaps its time the people took back their land and stopped being a debt slave society to the rich.

mr_saint

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
And I thought greek politicians were the most stupid politicians in the world when they banned all videogames in Greece in 2002. I guess we face some serious competition here :-D . We should double our efforts in order to bankrupt Greece asap to reclaim the throne.

(By the way it was the same political party that was in charge in both situations. And many MPs were in office in both situations too.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts