Save Zero Dollars By Opting for Intel's iGPU-Crippled GPUs

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Actually a lot of people use the iGPU, not every intel PC is built for gaming.
Also it's handy for testing and for an extra monitor output. Quicksync also has it's advantages even when you have a discrete GPU.

Costing the same price and having the same performance makes them pointless though, I would wait for the normal version rather than buy one of these.

But like a lot of people I've recently gone Ryzen and am not likely to go back to intel unless/until they offer some real advantage at a competitive price which I don't see in anything announced so far.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
No shortage of the 9000k series cpus at Fairfax, VA Microcenter (10+ of each), although the 9900k ($499)and 9700k ($399) are still listed at a slight premium while the 9600k is only $229. The market will sort out the price for the Intel cpus.

The shortage is with the 2080 Tis

passivecool

Honorable
Jul 18, 2017
..."and for only $50 more, we will DEactivate two additional cores as well!"

I cannot understand why anyone would buy an intel product if there is a viable alternative.

hd7970ghz

Prominent
Dec 20, 2018
I got the i9 9900k. So far I am questioning whether the purchase was worth it. This shows me how Intel thinks and I can honestly say it makes me sick to my stomach. Where is Intel's mind at? Do they even realize what they're doing? There has GOT to be some level of compassion for the consumer. The Non IGP CPU's SHOULD be cheaper! Like 50 or 75 cheaper at least.

iamacow

Admirable
Intels been this way for over 10 years. Not surprised at all. Only reason people still buy Intel is because the top end is always have been faster than anything AMD offered. Ryzen is changing that slowly...

Built my first primary AMD computer since AMD64. It was cheaper and actually preforms fairly close to the Intel counterpart for what I use it for.

Dugimodo

Distinguished

Really depends what you use it for, either the 8700K or 9700K is a much better deal for gaming and Ryzen chips offer better value for other tasks. It's hard to make a case for a 9900K outside of just wanting to buy the fastest gaming CPU available regardless of price.

Also depends how long you keep the PC, hyperthreading doesn't really have much to offer gamers right now on an 8 core CPU but in a few years time who knows.

I'm guilty of buying CPUs I never fully utilise myself, had a 6700K for 3 years when an i5 would have been just as good for me and now have a Ryzen 2700K I play games on when a 2600K would have done just fine. Sometimes we just want the fastest one because we can afford it :)

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
"but they do come in handy in the case of a GPU failure or if you retire an older chip to a system that doesn't have a discrete graphics card"

And I recently discovered another advantage: an extra GPU - with different drivers - if you try to run an older, obsolete game.

I was recently trying to run the original Diablo 1 on my system, with a Ryzen 7 2700X and a Radeon RX 580. Unfortunately, it kept crashing, even when I tried everything that people on the internet said to try.

Then, I tried it on my laptop with a Geforce GTX 950M. Diablo worked fine. Then, I tried it on the same laptop, but told it to use the integrated Intel graphics. Diablo worked fine again.

So Diablo works on a Geforce and an Intel HD, but not a Radeon.

Now, if I had a Ryzen APU instead of my Ryzen 7, that wouldn't help, because that would be two Radeons. But for someone with an Intel CPU, having the Intel HD graphics means you've got two GPUs with two different graphics drivers, so that if one driver is incompatible with some software, there's at least a chance the other driver is compatible.

(In the end, I got Diablo 1 running on my desktop using VMWare Workstation Pro, with a Windows XP 32-bit virtual machine. I also tried Virtual Machine, but I had problems with its 3D acceleration. But VMWare Workstation Pro's 3D acceleration worked like a charm.)

I would hold off on bashing on intel until these prices show up on ark.
The article talks about Intel's new official price list, but it could just have been a mistake by some overworked dude at the CES.

Tanyac

Reputable

We can only hope.

Totally insane, but typical of their price-gouging greed and total disregard for all things "customer"..

I wish AMD motherboards were more sanely priced. It's the only thing stopping me jumping off the Intel band wagon..

InvalidError

Titan

Not really: most of the TDP that you save from leaving the IGP idle/unused or disabled goes into higher boost clocks on the CPU when under load.

I wonder how much further Intel can push its luck with generally charging more for less. I hope Zen 2 delivers a stiff enough kick in the pants to Intel to reverse that trend, I'd like to have more than one option to choose from if I decide to upgrade my i5-3470 in 2019.

What do you mean? In my experience intel boards and AMD boards are around the same. I own a MSI B450 board with included WiFi and Bluetooth for only $120

JamersonNYC

Reputable
Sep 26, 2014
Adobe's Creative suite (2019) enables the utilization of both the IGPU and Discrete GPU And CPU when rendering.

Prior it was CPU, or GPU Rendering.
Then enabled CPU +Discrete GPU Rendering
Now CPU + IGPU +DGPU for various heavy 6k 3D/After Effects imbedded "scaled to 4k or 1080p" video. people are seeing 15-30% gains in render time.

So, you've lost the amateur / professional creatives with this pricing structure.
There's no value proposition in buying a defective chip. It doesn't save money for the gamer, and it cannibalizes the IGPU enabled chip due to the fact that AMD stepped their game up.

2019 goes to AMD. Intel and NVIDIA hold on to your stock.

Off topic, but holy Danny Devito’s left nut that is some speedy internet