Say What? Average PC Cannot Handle EA's Ignite Engine

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

masterofevil22

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
This is just a way to sell more consoles....they realize pc gamers are a bunch of pirates...can't blame them. They just want to sell more games....IF (and that's a HUGE IF) they could make the PC versions pirate proof, they'd release the updated PC versions along with the new consoles...but they can't.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
70 percent or higher of the PC's on the market couldn't handle Wii U material let alone any EA Sports games. If you bought your PC from a retailer than chances are you got a watered down PC that is almost useless with hardcore Gaming. When the PS4 comes out this fall, it will be more powerful than 85 percent of the PC's currently on the market. Can't wait to see it kick $%^#$%.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

If their games weren't utter garbage, people wouldn't pirate them nearly as much.
I can't blame anyone for pirating some mediocre single player game that gives you 5-6 hours of fun for $60.

Shitty developers/publishers should look up to Blizzard and its Battle.net 2.0 service, mainly SC2. Great campaign, great competitive multiplayer aspect and if you find ladder too demanding you have a great casual custom game multiplayer aspect suitable for anyone in the 'arcade' section.
The addition of spawning makes everything that much better.

Jake Davis

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

You are comparing apples to oranges much?

An average GAMING PC should be compared to a PS4/XBONE, not the average PC (aka the Facebook / flash games computer). The average gaming PC has a much stronger GPU (by over 2x) and a stronger CPU than either one, has at least as much RAM. A gaming PC is more expensive, but take the $650 machine from the last system builder marathon, and it absolutely CRUSHES the hardware in any "next gen" console. Closed system or not, EA are making excuses for bad code... sure, it's not just numbers, but this screams of an engine optimized for consoles with zero development for PCs.

Psychoeva01

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
Funny, engines designed around ultra low-end laptop parts. This gen is going to be full of comic relief: "Its got bandwidths! I don't know what that does or means but I'm going talk out of my butt about it."

MopsterUK

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
hmmm a load of BS the reason why fifa 10 and 9 ran sluggish and bad is because they were poorly ported. They didn't run badly because the 'average' machine couldn't handle them. I ran fifa 9, 10 and 11 all on the same system setup. Fifa 11 ran smooth and worked very well compared to the others. My system was more than capable to run 9 and 10 as well. They were just horrid lazy releases for the pc. I hope that fifa 14 doesn't suffer from the same sort of laziness that made 9 and 10 horrid.

aoneone

May 27, 2011
In other words, it's just a bad port ala GTA IV to pc.

I mean seriously, you really expect a 3770K + GTX 670 grinding to a halt to EA's Ignite engine? Don't make me laugh..

nolarrow

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
Translation: Modern day gaming computers can run current gen games in 3d, 120hz, 16x AA and filtering, texture replacement mods. The next xbox is 3x is fast as the last gen, so current gen pc can run those same games. We want everyone to buy the game on console.... and then again on PC 8 months later.

Also: the "average" pc is barely anything. For every home gaming pc there are 10,000 office computers running a centrino and a hampster on a wheel for gpu compute.

madrich

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
I actually like EA games, great music also IMHO. I'm pretty sure they are referring to PC's with thousands of different (mostly low end CPU/GPU with insufficient cooling) hardware configs being more difficult to develop for than the 3 major consoles - remember WiiU...

Not to mention the complaints people will have about the game not running well because of virus/malware and user error. Some games have auto-detect which is awesome but the "just buy cheapest" trend causes some people to be butt hurt, they can still try the brilliant OnLive if they have a decent net connection.

How else do you suggest supporting every config for PC gaming? Isn't that what DirectX is about?

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I have no clue what they are talking about Fifa 11 or 12 plays on basically anything.

The highest detail settings at full HD resolution will play at over 60 FPS with the fast mid-range GeForce GT 540M. The less powerful Radeon HD 6630M was able to provide acceptable frame rates on the ultra settings as well, but at about half the average of the GeForce GT 540M.

Notebookcheck. 540m is now APU/igp level.

audiophillia

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
EA and consoles. whoa I can't wait to see the hate in the comment sections. plus it is about consoles specs, so everyone can wip out their pc specs and compare who is bigger.

MopsterUK

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
I have no clue what they are talking about Fifa 11 or 12 plays on basically anything.
To true, My friend runs it on his onboard GPU with out any probs lol.

I actually like EA games, great music also IMHO. I'm pretty sure they are referring to PC's with thousands of different (mostly low end CPU/GPU with insufficient cooling) hardware configs being more difficult to develop for than the 3 major consoles - remember WiiU...

Not to mention the complaints people will have about the game not running well because of virus/malware and user error. Some games have auto-detect which is awesome but the "just buy cheapest" trend causes some people to be butt hurt, they can still try the brilliant OnLive if they have a decent net connection.

How else do you suggest supporting every config for PC gaming? Isn't that what DirectX is about?
What are you talking about? Nobody disagrees that programming games for the PC is trickier than that of a standardised console. That's not to say that people have a hard time getting games to work. Gaming on the pc these days is a lot more easier as most of the hardware does a decent job with the data it is handling. Gone are the days where you had to set up your own IRQ for graphic cards and sound cards. Sure some people have trouble but it's not as bad as you are hyping it up to be. Most of the problems of games not running well that I've personally encountered were due to bad ports (i.e. GTA4; fifa 9 and 10).

amoralman

Honorable
May 20, 2012
Btw, anyone who buys a PC with IGP and think he will game on it is a) badly misinformed or b) dumb. Does EA counts every dummy PC sold and used in a business environment?

Come to think of it, why get offended? It's EA! The very same EA!

MopsterUK

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

Too true.... I should have learned a long time ago to stop taking EA's incompetence as a personal attack on gamers. As somebody already said above. It's true the average PC would not be able to handle games. However, the average pc wouldn't be able to handle the EA games if you include office and business pc's. The average gaming pc (or should we say pc gamer as lets face the gaming pc is used for a lot more high-end stuff than just gaming) is more than capable of running EA's bag of rushed, incomplete, buggy games.

jtd871

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
I'm sorry, isn't that why there are minimum hardware/OS specs listed on the data sheet for each game? I smell bullshit and mining for free publicity. Dig deeper, Tom's - ask WHY.

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Utter Bulls*#@

The 'average pc' in their 'educated' definition clearly includes all non-gaming/business pc's from all countries, just to deliberately skew things away from gaming-proficient pc's.

Very poor, EA.

Try to focus more on the significant numbers of pc's which will meet your 'minimum requirements'. Then, offer maximum eye candy for those that can benefit.

Or, do you have a (not so?) hidden agenda of trying to force casual/regular gaming pc owners into buying one of your supported consoles?

I hope to hell you haven't been trying to persuade other companies to do the same!

While mobile and console markets are clearly profitable, try to recognise and support 'other' systems that greatly exceed their power i.e. mid-high end pc's. Failure to do this will set 'gaming advancement' back many years.

powerincarnate

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Remember folks, it is a combination of A: The average PC, which really isn't all that powerful, it has integrated graphics, and if not, has a lower powered discrete graphics. B: The average person that plays SPORTS games on the PC. Sure the person playing FPS, or some of the top RPGs have great rigs, but sports game players have always been a bit more casual and less hard core when it comes to building their gaming PCs.

Now, I can't stand EA, but generally what they are saying is true. An optimized console game will for sure run better than low grade PCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.