News Scalpers Sell Preorders of GeForce RTX 3080 for Over $1,200

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Do you have any evidence of this actually being true? Historically FE editions have been outperformed by partner versions with better cooling and higher clocks. I can already see partner versions listed on UK sites at the same price as FE.

That was true, at least until the Turing cards. Now, I'm sure that the board partners will have OC variants, but didn't the 20- series generally come out with a reference spec, and then the FE spec being higher clocked?

Maybe that's a new direction Nvidia plans to go with this?

Or maybe not, as the 20- series also brought crazy prices, but the 30- series seems to be giving much better bang for the buck, in terms of official pricing statements, thus far.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Now that all said - I know it happens, but I still don't get why.

Why do you need to have the latest video card (or anything) as soon as it comes out, so desperately, that you'll pay a scalper's prices?
:unsure:

A)"I don't know how to make myself happy. I can only do so by bragging about what I have to others."

B)"I have more money than sense. It's my money, and I can spend it how I want!"

C)"It's a drug. Having the latest and greatest gives me a rush of dopamine like no other."

There's likely more, but that's what comes to mind, at the moment.
I pity the A group, see the B group as foolish, and the C group needs to get out more often...

:unsure:

A)"I don't know how to make myself happy. I can only do so by bragging about what I have to others."

B)"I have more money than sense. It's my money, and I can spend it how I want!"

C)"It's a drug. Having the latest and greatest gives me a rush of dopamine like no other."

There's likely more, but that's what comes to mind, at the moment.
I pity the A group, see the B group as foolish, and the C group needs to get out more often...
I don't mind the B group if they can actually afford it.

It's the "I can afford what I want, but not what I need" group that I strongly dislike.

Reactions: King_V

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I really hate scalpers. I'd like to see companies put more effort into deterring them. We shouldn't have to wait months for the scalpers to get out of the way and let cards sell for MSRP.

NadeMagnet69

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020
lol The article calls this price gouging but things are worth exactly what people are willing to pay. That's capitalism 101. Capitalism, you know, that system that has gotten a bad rap even though it's brought more people out of poverty than all other economic systems combined. I have zero problem with ebay or anyone else doing this. Good for them. I personally wouldn't do it beucase I have this thing called a real job and it seems like a huge hassle. I'll be happy enough if I get my order in at bestbuy on the 17th. But I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon and rain on someone else's parade over waaaah it's not fair. lol Grow up people. Fair doesn't exist. If people want to whine about price gouging, they should stick to when it's over essentials. Like water bottles durring an emergency or the like. Not for something that literally nobody actually needs. My 2 cents anyways.

Reactions: Endymio

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
@Phaaze88, @hotaru251 - I just realized my own version of FOMO.

I saw the MSI RX 5600 XT deal for $219.99, and wanted to jump at it. Actually, I swore at it, decrying why this deal wasn't there when I got the (also really good deal) of the MSI 5700 Evoke for my son back in March.

I held back only because I couldn't be sure that my old Dell XPS 8700 would play nicely with current generation cards. Well, I probably would've held back anyway, but it was tempting.

I guess my own FOMO is when I see an outrageous deal that goes overboard on the performance-per-dollar scale.

NadeMagnet69

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020
@Phaaze88, @hotaru251 - I just realized my own version of FOMO.

I saw the MSI RX 5600 XT deal for $219.99, and wanted to jump at it. Actually, I swore at it, decrying why this deal wasn't there when I got the (also really good deal) of the MSI 5700 Evoke for my son back in March.

I held back only because I couldn't be sure that my old Dell XPS 8700 would play nicely with current generation cards. Well, I probably would've held back anyway, but it was tempting.

I guess my own FOMO is when I see an outrageous deal that goes overboard on the performance-per-dollar scale.
lol I had to look up what FOMO is. Sigh... I'm getting old. :LOL:

Reactions: King_V

philged

Reputable
Mar 12, 2020
"Desperate buyers" seems like the wrong tagline here. People do desperate things to survive...like having to steal when you're starving.

No one is desperately needing to buy a $700 graphics card, and no one who's willing to pay an extra $500 to get that graphics card a few months early is actually desperate.

Its seems nvidia and they market management are getting exactly what they wanted for the time been, limit the numbers of chips third party makers can get thier hands on, limiting the numbers of third party cards available, a huge excitement from the public and the stupid prices that comes with them.

The worst part is that we still don't really know how they perform against the old models, Are they really 2X faster? Are you really going to believe nvidia fancy numbers?

I guess some people will pay anything..... oh dear to think with 500 more you can get a complete brand new PC with very decent components including a 1440p@144Hz IPS panel (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cwRLvW).

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Its seems nvidia and they market management are getting exactly what they wanted for the time been, limit the numbers of chips third party makers can get thier hands on, limiting the numbers of third party cards available, a huge excitement from the public and the stupid prices that comes with them.

The worst part is that we still don't really know how they perform against the old models, Are they really 2X faster? Are you really going to believe nvidia fancy numbers?

I guess some people will pay anything..... oh dear to think with 500 more you can get a complete brand new PC with very decent components including a 1440p@144Hz IPS panel (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cwRLvW).
That could also be a simple shortage of the quality chips.
Good thing about me is I don't have to absolutely buy one right now I can wait a few months.

If the AMD cards come out with quality drivers this could bite them in the &$$

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019

Nvidia has already sold the chips to AIB's. They don't get an additional dime from the extra $400 scalpers collect for a 3080. The only way for Nvidia to make more money is to sell more chips, so it's stupid to think they are artificially limiting supply for months as if that benefits them at all.

The 3080 isn't going to be twice as fast in anything gaming related. Maybe some compute tasks and synthetic tests. It also doesn't need to be twice as fast to be a worthwhile upgrade.

That could also be a simple shortage of the quality chips.
Good thing about me is I don't have to absolutely buy one right now I can wait a few months.

If the AMD cards come out with quality drivers this could bite them in the &$$

It could be, yes indeed, or could be just nvidia wanted to take advantage of desperate people, with nothing else to do, and with full pockets, during a global pandemic.

And yes you are right about AMD cards. We indeed need RDNA 2 to be way better than RDNA to turn prices back to ..... "decent".

Nvidia has already sold the chips to AIB's. They don't get an additional dime from the extra $400 scalpers collect for a 3080. The only way for Nvidia to make more money is to sell more chips, so it's stupid to think they are artificially limiting supply for months as if that benefits them at all.

The 3080 isn't going to be twice as fast in anything gaming related. Maybe some compute tasks and synthetic tests. It also doesn't need to be twice as fast to be a worthwhile upgrade.

View: https://youtu.be/E98hC9e__Xs?t=1795

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
It could be, yes indeed, or could be just nvidia wanted to take advantage of desperate people, with nothing else to do, and with full pockets, during a global pandemic.

And yes you are right about AMD cards. We indeed need RDNA 2 to be way better than RDNA to turn prices back to ..... "decent".
I have not used AMD cards since my Xfire 6970's but I leave the option open.

Reactions: RodroX

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Up to 2x faster. In the "benchnmark" slide from that presentation, time stamped below, none of the games were 2x faster or even really close to 2x. The professional apps in the chart were all close to if not more than 2x faster. And if you want to nitpick, no where in the presentation does it say 2x faster in gaming. The professional apps demonstrate the hardware is capable of twice as much performance, but it may take a year or 2 before gamer developers are able to properly leverage the new architecture and realize that 2x potential.

View: https://youtu.be/E98hC9e__Xs?t=1148