News Scalpers Sell Preorders of GeForce RTX 3080 for Over $1,200

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Nothing new with this news in my opinion. When there is high anticipation for a product, there will be people that will capitalize on the situation to make themselves some quick bucks. It used to be common issue with every iPhone release for example. This can happen for concert or movie tickets as well. And despite the inflated price, there will be people that will still buy them,.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Thinking about buying a 3080 from through Amazon.com and having it shipped to Japan, and then sell it for a profit.

For myself, I'll definitely wait until Navi 2 and then see how prices play out here, and then even figure out if I actually really think it's worth it to upgrade.

Last edited:
Shameful. This shouldn't be allowed by any means, but how would anyone be able to control it outside of limiting purchases to two cards at most? Even with that, what would stop them from buying two more cards with another card?

I'm fine for the time being with my 1080 but do want a 3080 to top off what will be a new rig. There's no way I'm paying anything remotely close to price gouging or artificially inflated prices though it's clear that some will spare no expense just to have it on launch no matter the costs.

barryv88

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
This whole Ampere launch is quickly turning into one big debacle. :oops:
  • $1200...what's the use? Then you might as well add a couple a hundred dollars more and get the 3090 all together. And then Nvidia got you suckered into buying the most ridiculously overpriced flagship card.
  • The Samsung node really really sucks. Meaning Navi2 utilizing a far better TSMC process leaves the doors wide open for AMD to win the efficiency charts! How the tables are quickly turning hey? Navi2 cards won't be hot, bloated and oversized as Ampere. (The new arch promises massive improvements in those regards).
  • Miners/scalpers will once again ruin a party that hasn't even started yet.
For us gamers, we are pretty much screwed for quite a while now. It will take many months for things to settle. You might as well wait and see what Navi2 brings to the table. But boy oh boy, if AMD hasn't had a better chance, that chance is now.
If Navi2 rocks and Vermeer delivers, an all out AMD gaming system may very well be the best choice for upgraders.

Reactions: bigdragon

felicityc

Prominent
Feb 19, 2020
:unsure:

A)"I don't know how to make myself happy. I can only do so by bragging about what I have to others."

B)"I have more money than sense. It's my money, and I can spend it how I want!"

C)"It's a drug. Having the latest and greatest gives me a rush of dopamine like no other."

There's likely more, but that's what comes to mind, at the moment.
I pity the A group, see the B group as foolish, and the C group needs to get out more often...

You should be more charitable. We aren't all happy, satisfied with life and well-supported by anyone, especially with this quarantine. Go out? Where? Everything is closed here, or obnoxious.

I ended up buying a scalped oculus quest a bit after quarantine started. Paid about 180% of the price- i think the total came out to $700~ or so.

I didn't do it to brag. I did it because I was going absolutely insane when school went only online and I didn't even get the chance to go to uni and sit in class for a couple of hours a week, the Switch and most other things were in a similar boat, and PC gaming had really lost its luster with the newest shooters just being counter strike: redux: electric boogaloo with rootkit anticheat and cod: battle royale with bloated bnet software and quake: except not quake battle royale with bloated ubisoft software.

I had never given VR a shot and after I played VRchat with some other similarly stuck folks I really wanted to try it- and, well, now I have an index I bought from valve and waited on, since I had found something to really occupy my time and give me something to have fun with.

Especially since last year I had no money whatsoever, no chance or time to get or even think about anything, and now that I have gotten some extra I was willing to go a little further as I had achieved some life rebuilding.

Revise those to

"I'm not really happy right now, but this thing might make me happy, and the extra cost may be in the longer term more worthwhile than being depressed and more aimless until (indeterminate time in the future since April was the month of 'quarantine will last 2 months dont worry :)'"

"There are no other options if I don't want to wait , the reasons for which can't be judged without directly asking me, and presuming every poor decision has to be predicated by smug indifference is an arrogant way to view life."

"This is what I do every single day, 10 hours or more a day, so the extra cost is absolutely worthwhile when it is my single primary hobby, and price : performance is not an issue when it's engaging enough to want as soon as possible. Consider price : performance : satisfaction." 5:1:10 might be a better ratio than say having bought a 2080 ti in the past 2 months and being at a 8:1:1 now.

It's people that buy things, after the fact, for MSRP, without really even needing or knowing how/why to use it, that are confusing to me. People who buy asap at least typically know why they are buying asap. My example of the Quest (which was cool for a while but the index is much better) has unfortunately been ruined by Facebook but the amount of sanity it granted me in a turbulent time was appreciated greatly.

I don't make any claim of it being good to buy from scalpers. I view Apple as "legitimized scalping" and people actually defend them. That's what's absurd.

Reactions: San Pedro
This whole Ampere launch is quickly turning into one big debacle. :oops:
  • $1200...what's the use? Then you might as well add a couple a hundred dollars more and get the 3090 all together. And then Nvidia got you suckered into buying the most ridiculously overpriced flagship card.
  • The Samsung node really really sucks. Meaning Navi2 utilizing a far better TSMC process leaves the doors wide open for AMD to win the efficiency charts! How the tables are quickly turning hey? Navi2 cards won't be hot, bloated and oversized as Ampere. (The new arch promises massive improvements in those regards).
  • Miners/scalpers will once again ruin a party that hasn't even started yet.
For us gamers, we are pretty much screwed for quite a while now. It will take many months for things to settle. You might as well wait and see what Navi2 brings to the table. But boy oh boy, if AMD hasn't had a better chance, that chance is now.
If Navi2 rocks and Vermeer delivers, an all out AMD gaming system may very well be the best choice for upgraders.
I’m rooting for AMD and Big Navi. However for me AMD has not only got to take a leap forward in hardware but also in driver support. Trouble with this is we need a few months of Big Navi being on the market to see how driver support is so for me that would have meant putting off buying until early 2021 and I’m not going to wait that long. It’s a gamble, I get that but I’m going NVidia this time.

In germany the RTX 3080 is going for between 700and 925€ retail on Caseking, kinda like Newegg in Germany. The cheapest being Gigabyte Eagle OC, the most expensive (as effing always) the Asus ROG.

When you convert that to $ 925€ is like 1.100 USD. The Rtx 2080ti is STILL 1.200€ and a hybrid AIO cooled version 1500€. Good luck selling that

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
In germany the RTX 3080 is going for between 700and 925€ retail on Caseking, kinda like Newegg in Germany. The cheapest being Gigabyte Eagle OC, the most expensive (as effing always) the Asus ROG.

When you convert that to $ 925€ is like 1.100 USD. The Rtx 2080ti is STILL 1.200€ and a hybrid AIO cooled version 1500€. Good luck selling that
ROG Strix is $850 in the US, which is way more expensive than the other after market cards that have prices so far. Next up is the EVGA XC3 Ultra at $770.

NadeMagnet69

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020
Nvidia has already sold the chips to AIB's. They don't get an additional dime from the extra $400 scalpers collect for a 3080. The only way for Nvidia to make more money is to sell more chips, so it's stupid to think they are artificially limiting supply for months as if that benefits them at all.

The 3080 isn't going to be twice as fast in anything gaming related. Maybe some compute tasks and synthetic tests. It also doesn't need to be twice as fast to be a worthwhile upgrade.
It would benifit them if they then raise prices down the road. There is nothing to stop them from doing that.

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
rtx 3080, starts at $980. that is no where near affordable for most of those i know. the rtx 3070 MIGHT be more affordable, IF it is under $600 in canada.

felicityc

Prominent
Feb 19, 2020
rtx 3080, starts at $980. that is no where near affordable for most of those i know. the rtx 3070 MIGHT be more affordable, IF it is under $600 in canada.

2g9BdNB.png

so im going to bet a whole canadian dollar that

OKbXXll.png

Looks like I'm not bothering this launch, I'm not as, well, stressed. Maybe a bit, but I definitely will not support theoretical scalpers,which I find even more ridiculous. Maybe paying a premium for overnight shipping vs waiting two months. But to pay a scalper to wait two months? :) that leaves the realm of reason to me

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
felicityc, $980 is what one of the stores has the least expensive rtx 3080 starting at, another store i just checked, the same card is 950. just like the rtx 20 series, so far, priced out of reach of most people. pretty much take the US price, and add $200. looks like the strix 1060, i have, will have to do for a few more months.

Reactions: felicityc

felicityc

Prominent
Feb 19, 2020
are you saying 950 cad or usd?

if it's 950 and 980 cad then that lines up perfectly with the usd equivalent. 980 would convert to less than what we were shown. I understand that doesn't favor you and is unfair but it's consistent. I was prepared to go drop $800 usd 2morow morning but the line at microcenter already filled up 4 hours ago :sleep:

felicityc

Prominent
Feb 19, 2020
unfortunate exchange rates, not sure why our dollar is valued well, i thought our economy exploded already

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
even the exchange rates are lower then the price of the card at 2 of the stores here. IF shipping from the US, is 40-50 bucks, it would be less expensive to order from the states and have it shipped here, thats kind of sad.

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
heh, ahh well. i am waiting till november any way, have other things that needs the funds, and, like others i work with waiting till the other rtx 30 cards are out, and to see how RDNA2 stacks up.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[1.] Do you have any evidence of this actually being true? [2.]Historically FE editions have been outperformed by partner versions with better cooling and higher clocks.
[3.]I can already see partner versions listed on UK sites at the same price as FE.
1. No hard evidence, yet. Just hearsay. I will be watching for reviews of partnerboards though.

2. Rarely at launch and as good as never at the same or lower price. In this case the FE cooler is so expensive and good that I seriously doubt any partnerboards can do better. Reaching higher clocks will come at a cost in power usage and price tag, reserved for the expensive premium versions.

3. Same consumer price, yes.
a) Are they the same performance? No reviews have been allowed on release and it's not the models that the partners send to reviewers.
b) I've also heard from one source that Nvidia will give retailers a $45 cashback for each Ampere card sold this month. If true that should help keeping prices down for a couple of weeks and be accounted for in the price comparison.