News Scalpers Strike Again, Ryzen 5000 Processors Impossible to Find In stock

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
You dont get it . it is the local Online stores we are talking about .

To make it simple : Online stores are accessible world wide . and this should stop.
You're basically asking for balkanization of the internet.

That sounds like a terrible idea. Well, except that the very countries you're talking about wanting to wall off would, and do, tend to block foreign sites that they deem to be inconvenient.

oenomel

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Newegg only made the CPU's available thru a banner add when they released.
I didn't use a bot, I logged in, bought one, and it shipped today (YAY NEWEGG).

Y'all should have logged on and looked if ya really wanted one.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
You're basically asking for balkanization of the internet.

That sounds like a terrible idea. Well, except that the very countries you're talking about wanting to wall off would, and do, tend to block foreign sites that they deem to be inconvenient.

I did not say Block the IP address . I said restrict sales to US credit card only (issued in USA) and with a confirmed linked local phone number .

Also , these measures should be applied only on some products that will have high demand on release date . does not need to be all the products in the site.

What difference does it make if I cant get one now anyways ? Just Announce it after you have enough inventory ..

Also , I think AMD could sell them in trays without boxes to speed things up ...
Because AMD is a publicly traded company and they need to keep their hype train rolling so stockholders see more value coming in.

But also, TSMC is very much taxed with regards to production and they probably don't have enough to cover everyone's orders. However, the funny thing with production is that you actually don't your production levels to meet demand levels. You want them as under as possible. Any downtime a factory has becomes a money pit.

ashburner

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I'm disappointed and now I'm out another $230 until my 5950x comes in. I ordered a 3600XT from Amazon for $230. I'll probably use it for a month and sell it on eBay for $125. I have all next week off work and was really looking forward to building this PC. I'll just have to upgrade it down the road. The answer I got back from my B&H preorder was "I dunno"

Xenophage

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
Scalpers don't cause shortages. The reason you can't buy an AMD chip is not because of scalpers. In fact, you only have an option to buy any chips at all because of scalpers. For the economically challenged, let me explain: A shortage is what happens when the price of something is much lower than would would be required for the demand curve to be in equilibrium with the supply. The sad fact is that AMD is underselling their processors, leaving money on the table for scalpers to collect. It's bad business, for sure, but if the scalpers weren't there then nobody would be selling these chips at all. As it is, the few among us who happen to value the AMD chips more than they value $1500 are at least able to purchase one. Without the scalpers, all the chips would be sold out, period. Nobody would be able to sit around and weigh the costs and benefits.

Now, the bad thing about scalpers is that AMD doesn't get that money. IF AMD was getting that money - if they had, for instance, properly priced their CPU's to maintain equilibrium between supply and demand - they'd be flush with a lot more cash. That extra cash could help them outbid their competitors at TSMC, so that even more processors might be produced and available in the future - bringing their costs back down. Meanwhile, there would be no profit in scalping, and therefore no scalpers to be angry at.

In other words: Blame AMD for overly aggressive pricing. Even a small bump could have helped alleviate this problem.

Only if you are entirely cpu bound with the 2700x.
Scalpers don't cause shortages. The reason you can't buy an AMD chip is not because of scalpers. In fact, you only have an option to buy any chips at all because of scalpers. For the economically challenged, let me explain: A shortage is what happens when the price of something is much lower than would would be required for the demand curve to be in equilibrium with the supply. The sad fact is that AMD is underselling their processors, leaving money on the table for scalpers to collect. It's bad business, for sure, but if the scalpers weren't there then nobody would be selling these chips at all. As it is, the few among us who happen to value the AMD chips more than they value $1500 are at least able to purchase one. Without the scalpers, all the chips would be sold out, period. Nobody would be able to sit around and weigh the costs and benefits.

Now, the bad thing about scalpers is that AMD doesn't get that money. IF AMD was getting that money - if they had, for instance, properly priced their CPU's to maintain equilibrium between supply and demand - they'd be flush with a lot more cash. That extra cash could help them outbid their competitors at TSMC, so that even more processors might be produced and available in the future - bringing their costs back down. Meanwhile, there would be no profit in scalping, and therefore no scalpers to be angry at.

In other words: Blame AMD for overly aggressive pricing. Even a small bump could have helped alleviate this problem.

AMD did a small bump up in price of 50$ over the previous gen..... scalping is for some nowadays a full time job.

Reactions: andrewkelb

andrewkelb

Reputable
Mar 10, 2018
If someone has a bit of demand someone will try to scalp it and make extra money. Like Schlachtwolf pointed out, its a full time job for some people. Its going to be tough until demand drops and that won't be until next year some time.

MorganPike

Prominent
Jan 8, 2020
The problem isn't just the scalpers. There will always be scum of the earth types ready to take advantage of anyone they can. The people who support the scum are just as responsible.

People complain about corporate entities behaving like sociopaths and then turn around and support scummy practices like scalping. Selfish people who don't really care about anyone but themselves. But I guess that's what you get when capitalism gets out of hand. Don't get me wrong, I think capitalism brings many benefits and is better than the alternatives, but every system brings problems when it runs amok.

andrewkelb

Reputable
Mar 10, 2018
The problem isn't just the scalpers. There will always be scum of the earth types ready to take advantage of anyone they can. The people who support the scum are just as responsible.

People complain about corporate entities behaving like sociopaths and then turn around and support scummy practices like scalping. Selfish people who don't really care about anyone but themselves. But I guess that's what you get when capitalism gets out of hand. Don't get me wrong, I think capitalism brings many benefits and is better than the alternatives, but every system brings problems when it runs amok.
I feel like this is more of a case of enough money or connection can get you anything and would happen under any economic system but possibly more in a black market form.

As said before by some: as long there are people who are ready to pay over MSRP, that's to be expected. And who are those buyers? Yes, those with "I must be the first to have it" ego -and scalpers know there are many of those.
Speaking for me, I will buy when the price is below MSRP. Because let's be frank, MSRP is already a bit over the price -meant for early adopters.

Reactions: Olle P

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
... MSRP is already a bit over the price -meant for early adopters.
I also think so, regarding the current MSRP.
I expect a few things to happen within the next months:
  1. A steady flow of CPUs being shipped to the stores. Should be able to catch up with demand within a month or so.
  2. More (cheaper) SKUs being announced in a month or two.
  3. A real increase in production of Zen3 consumer CPUs early next year. Then MSRP of the current SKUs might be reduced.

TheBeastInside

Reputable
Oct 21, 2020
I can buy everything except the 59xx here on launch day at local retail prices (about 30% premium over US prices).
We had 5950s but they sold out in a day.
5800 and 5600 are still in stock.
This seems like a much better launch than the Nvidia 3000 series.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
So it's the boxing of the processors that is delaying shipments? Lol

Trays are different lines , and different quantities, and the OEM and PC makers who order in trays dont have shortages like the retail package. they have the priority in production. do you think that HP or Dell have shortages ? They get their orders before us granted.

TheBeastInside

Reputable
Oct 21, 2020
I did not say Block the IP address . I said restrict sales to US credit card only (issued in USA) and with a confirmed linked local phone number .

Also , these measures should be applied only on some products that will have high demand on release date . does not need to be all the products in the site.
Is your money holier or something?
Why exactly do you feel there is a need to segregate the rest of the world?
You know none of this stuff is made in the US, right?

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Is your money holier or something?
Why exactly do you feel there is a need to segregate the rest of the world?
You know none of this stuff is made in the US, right?

Made outside the US , does not mean it is not a US product , US design , US money invested , US research , US universities , US scientists , US money paying the workers ,USA helping your workers EAT and be HAPPY . ALL BELONGS TO USA. and be THANKFUL .

and your money is not Holy and no one money is Holy . but nations who invent and work hard and design ., their people have the priority to get it before lazy nations who talk like you "your money is not holier" , well The one Who invents and works hard is holier than all your money.

having said that , your countries have their share in production lines reserved , they DONTHAVE THE RIGHT to take from US inventory WHEN THEIR INVENTORY IS OUT OF STOCK.

YOUR PEOPLE are not more important than US PEOPLE. You are out of stock , you dont drain US people SHARE.

"holier" meh ...

Loadedaxe

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2016
The title should read, “why you can’t build a new PC right now”

My PC is good for the next year. All I was going to upgrade to was the VC to a 6800XT. I can wait until things simmer down.

Those needing to build a new rig now though, I feel for you.
Ebay and all selling platforms like them is where the problem Is. They should put a 90 hold on all newly released products being listed.

Reactions: MorganPike

TheBeastInside

Reputable
Oct 21, 2020
Made outside the US , does not mean it is not a US product , US design , US money invested , US research , US universities , US scientists , US money paying the workers ,USA helping your workers EAT and be HAPPY . ALL BELONGS TO USA. and be THANKFUL .

and your money is not Holy and no one money is Holy . but nations who invent and work hard and design ., their people have the priority to get it before lazy nations who talk like you "your money is not holier" , well The one Who invents and works hard is holier than all your money.

having said that , your countries have their share in production lines reserved , they DONTHAVE THE RIGHT to take from US inventory WHEN THEIR INVENTORY IS OUT OF STOCK.

YOUR PEOPLE are not more important than US PEOPLE. You are out of stock , you dont drain US people SHARE.

"holier" meh ...
Amusing.

First of all, chillax, were not at war.

I live in one of the nations that is considered a high tech nation. I am also working in high tech in a company with over 200 million customers world wide.

I think your failure to accept the global economy (lead by your leaders BTW) is pretty funny.
If anything, the US has deteriorated in terms of actual brain power and inventions in the last decade. Feel free to check out the statistics on Global education. There has been and continues to be a search for talent from outside the US by all leading tech firms - especially US based companies who started there.

Actual development power spans the globe, and is no longer centralized.

Your beloved country does not educate enough engineers and scientists needed by tech and science.
I suggest you look around at home a bit before you judge other people so harshly wirh such prejudice.

Lastly, the stock is not yours, or owned by the American people, it is owned by the company selling it- and guess what, they want to sell to whoever wants to pay. They want a global economy (since they also gain MORE customers).

And just so you know, the CPUs are still in stock where I live.