News Scalpers Strike Again, Ryzen 5000 Processors Impossible to Find In stock

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nightseer

Prominent
Jun 12, 2020
Yeah, that is normal now. Result of capitalism working as big corporations want. Full of fear of missing out, day one purchase rush, like starving people who are buying food. And needless to say there is not enough production capacity in the world to make enough of anything for everyone getting it day one. And seriously, this isn't food, water, or any other life necessity you will die without. Only reason why it happens is desperation, when fear of missing out gets so high that people start spending 3x the price, because there is no way in the world they could wait for supply to catch up. That and people who have more money than sense. So untill people relax, take step back, make do with what they have untill things normalize, scalping will continue. Especially when angry mobs keep protesting, showing scalpers just how high the demand is and just how little patience people have. Just saying. I know this isn't popular opinion, but it is result of what I said. And yes, I will buy one too, but for now I will wait till things normalize and supply catches up. It's not like I need those CPUs to keep me alive, like some if that scalper outrage would make you think. Don't get me wrong, scalping sucks, but it is result of exact same things as anger is... consume, don't think, need it day one, otherwise you are missing out, imagine you being last of your friends having it, don't question, consume, need now,... welcome to beautiful world of capitalism. :-D

Reactions: King_V

Loadedaxe

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2016
I bought a camera lens a few months ago.
I don't particularly like it. Perfectly good, but does not fit my shooting style.

You're telling me I can't sell it?

If you bought the lens you knew within at least a few days you didn’t like it. Send it back for a refund. Your comparing apples to oranges here. Especially if you bought it from Amazon or BandH

USAFRet

Titan
If you bought the lens you knew within at least a few days you didn’t like it. Send it back for a refund. Your comparing apples to oranges here. Especially if you bought it from Amazon or BandH
It was just an analogy, in reply to wanting some legal ruling to prevent people from selling a recent purchase on fleabay or wherever.
No lenses were harmed in the production of that text.

jasonf2

Distinguished
Scalpers don't cause shortages. The reason you can't buy an AMD chip is not because of scalpers. In fact, you only have an option to buy any chips at all because of scalpers. For the economically challenged, let me explain: A shortage is what happens when the price of something is much lower than would would be required for the demand curve to be in equilibrium with the supply. The sad fact is that AMD is underselling their processors, leaving money on the table for scalpers to collect. It's bad business, for sure, but if the scalpers weren't there then nobody would be selling these chips at all. As it is, the few among us who happen to value the AMD chips more than they value $1500 are at least able to purchase one. Without the scalpers, all the chips would be sold out, period. Nobody would be able to sit around and weigh the costs and benefits.

Now, the bad thing about scalpers is that AMD doesn't get that money. IF AMD was getting that money - if they had, for instance, properly priced their CPU's to maintain equilibrium between supply and demand - they'd be flush with a lot more cash. That extra cash could help them outbid their competitors at TSMC, so that even more processors might be produced and available in the future - bringing their costs back down. Meanwhile, there would be no profit in scalping, and therefore no scalpers to be angry at.

In other words: Blame AMD for overly aggressive pricing. Even a small bump could have helped alleviate this problem.
Not to argue but in economic terms you are incorrect. The supply and demand curves for these products and the relative price points established by the manufactures are correct and established by the invisible hand. Scalpers cause a momentary drop in supply (quantity supplied) when they purchase a significant amount of inventory at launch. The units demanded stays the same but this causes a momentary shortage in which they can adjust their pricing to the higher point on the already established curve sets. This difference of the normal equilibrium price and the price point that they establish by causing the shortage is their profit. Unfortunately it a very easy quick buck for them as they resell as fast as they purchase. They stand almost no risk because even if they cannot sell at their shortage price all they have to do is sell at purchase price once supply overruns their ability to purchase all of the inventory. The oligopoly that cpus play between AMD and Intel set the price points that MSRP plays on, not scalpers. Scalpers are pure parasitic dead weight that bring no advantage with them just a lot of consumer pain. Unfortunately with online purchasing and auction sites today the ability to instantly purchase and sell has created this mess. The only way to prevent the behavior would be to produce enough product at launch that scalpers cannot corner supply. That simply is not possible without a delayed preorder system (IE no launch until preorders are filled and then all at once). I would like to believe that retailers could simply recognize the behavior and maintain circuit breaker activities like brick and mortar limit 1 per customer but this can be really big money and these people get really creative. The retailers also receive no incentive to self police as they sell the quantity supplied regardless. If you really want to stop this activity wait your turn in line and never, ever purchase a product from a scalper.

Last edited:
I get where you're coming from, but that still won't work. By the time someone realizes they're in a queue that may or may not work in their favor, they've moved on to somewhere else (in another browser tab). Remember, we're talking about thousands of people. Just how long do you think people will wait around on the off-chance they MIGHT get a chance at buying one? Some have the discipline to wait, sure, but most do not. They're off searching other web sites while the queue shrinks to their number. Heaven forbid they get passed over because they were looking at another site! And what do you do if there's an Internet interruption? I waited patiently. I did my due diligence. There was a glitch in the server and I lost connection for a minute. Now I'm last in line...

How do you reconcile that?

Point being, there's really nothing that an online reseller can do that someone could not take advantage of, so they keep it as first come, first serve (fair or not).

-Wolf sends

No, I'm not saying this will somehow auto-magically get stock to the right people or that it's something to stop bots. I'm only proposing a solution for the customer-unfriendly effects of web site issues/stock inventory display. If the site you're on doesn't have any stock let, it's okay if someone wants to search other places for possible "available now" stock.

Basically, what I proposed is a way to effectively manage & display the stock the retailer initially has for purchase, and then give the potential customer a prompt if they want to be added to a later-fulfillment queue when that stock is gone. This will help cut down the frustration of adding stock that sells out while you were trying in vain to complete the purchase, and it allows you to add yourself (if you desire) to a queue for later fulfillment when restock comes in. Your credit card won't be charged until the product is shipped. This type of system would be a lot friendlier and transparent to the customer, even if supply is short.

Oct 22, 2020
Yeah, that is normal now. Result of capitalism working as big corporations want. Full of fear of missing out, day one purchase rush, like starving people who are buying food. And needless to say there is not enough production capacity in the world to make enough of anything for everyone getting it day one. And seriously, this isn't food, water, or any other life necessity you will die without. Only reason why it happens is desperation, when fear of missing out gets so high that people start spending 3x the price, because there is no way in the world they could wait for supply to catch up. That and people who have more money than sense. So untill people relax, take step back, make do with what they have untill things normalize, scalping will continue. Especially when angry mobs keep protesting, showing scalpers just how high the demand is and just how little patience people have. Just saying. I know this isn't popular opinion, but it is result of what I said. And yes, I will buy one too, but for now I will wait till things normalize and supply catches up. It's not like I need those CPUs to keep me alive, like some if that scalper outrage would make you think. Don't get me wrong, scalping sucks, but it is result of exact same things as anger is... consume, don't think, need it day one, otherwise you are missing out, imagine you being last of your friends having it, don't question, consume, need now,... welcome to beautiful world of capitalism. :-D

You'll take your state-mandated Atom and be happy for it, peasant!