Does anyone know much about how a scam webiste would work? I googled my
usernick and I found an angelfire site where a person had set up a shop to
look like a neopets shop. The alarming thing to me was that they were using
my shop template so it said exactly the same thing as my shop does.The
option to buy things is there and I don't know what exactly would happen if
you clicked while you were also on neopets. I reported it just in case but I
am curious to what the benefit of a place like that would be and why out of
a zillion neopet people they had to pick my shop.

Gareeth

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

Gareeth [Gareethnews@hotmail.com] said
> Does anyone know much about how a scam webiste would work? I googled my
> usernick and I found an angelfire site where a person had set up a shop to
> look like a neopets shop. The alarming thing to me was that they were using
> my shop template so it said exactly the same thing as my shop does.The
> option to buy things is there and I don't know what exactly would happen if
> you clicked while you were also on neopets. I reported it just in case but I
> am curious to what the benefit of a place like that would be and why out of
> a zillion neopet people they had to pick my shop.

I've just had a look and it doesn't do anything. Yet....

Les wrote:

> I've just had a look and it doesn't do anything. Yet....

Do you think it could do something though? I don't know much about
programming and even less about the sort of things you can code onto a
webiste.

Gareeth

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

Gareeth [Gareethnews@hotmail.com] said
> Les wrote:
> >>
> > I've just had a look and it doesn't do anything. Yet....
>
> Do you think it could do something though? I don't know much about
> programming and even less about the sort of things you can code onto a
> webiste.
>
> Gareeth

All they have done is copy the HTML from Neopets to their web site.
Maybe they are playing or learning or want to copy some code from your
shop to theirs because they like it, or maybe they are looking at the
code to figure out how to set up a password scam perhaps.

But I am just guessing and at the moment there doesn't seem to be
anything sinister about it. Odd though I agree.

Les wrote:

> All they have done is copy the HTML from Neopets to their web site.
> Maybe they are playing or learning or want to copy some code from your
> shop to theirs because they like it, or maybe they are looking at the
> code to figure out how to set up a password scam perhaps.
>
> But I am just guessing and at the moment there doesn't seem to be
> anything sinister about it. Odd though I agree.

There seems to be a little epidemic of it happening. There were some
mentions of it on the boards now all from players with fairly old accounts.

Gareeth