Scandisk Problem

For some reason, My Dimension 8100 with Win ME has started attempting to
run Scandisk in thorough mode every time my computer boots. I tried
letting it run and gave up after several hours.
I have disabled it in msconfig but am wondering what is causing this
and/or can the flag which is set at shutdown be removed?
Thanks
Chuck

KA6UUP wrote:

> For some reason, My Dimension 8100 with Win ME has started attempting
> to run Scandisk in thorough mode every time my computer boots. I
> tried letting it run and gave up after several hours.
> I have disabled it in msconfig but am wondering what is causing this
> and/or can the flag which is set at shutdown be removed?
> Thanks
> Chuck

The system may be detecting a problem and trying to fix it. Try running
scandisk at night while you sleep.

I'd be worried that the hard drive is failing. Download the testing
software from the drive manufacturer and run that.

Also, upgrade to XP. Not related to your question. but it is so much better
on an 8100

Tom Scales wrote:

> I'd be worried that the hard drive is failing. Download the testing
> software from the drive manufacturer and run that.
>
> Also, upgrade to XP. Not related to your question. but it is so much better
> on an 8100
> "KA6UUP" <ka6uup@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>
>>For some reason, My Dimension 8100 with Win ME has started attempting to
>>run Scandisk in thorough mode every time my computer boots. I tried
>>letting it run and gave up after several hours.
>>I have disabled it in msconfig but am wondering what is causing this
>>and/or can the flag which is set at shutdown be removed?
>>Thanks
>>Chuck

I have run both the Dell diagnostic and Scandisk in DOS mode.
There are no problems with either one.
This could be related somehow, to my USB HD which I use for backup. The
problem appeared after doing a backup.
Thanks
Chuck

> Tom Scales wrote:
>
>> I'd be worried that the hard drive is failing. Download the testing
>> software from the drive manufacturer and run that.
>>
>> Also, upgrade to XP. Not related to your question. but it is so much
>> better on an 8100
>> "KA6UUP" <ka6uup@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>For some reason, My Dimension 8100 with Win ME has started attempting to
>>>run Scandisk in thorough mode every time my computer boots. I tried
>>>letting it run and gave up after several hours.
>>>I have disabled it in msconfig but am wondering what is causing this
>>>and/or can the flag which is set at shutdown be removed?
>>>Thanks
>>>Chuck
>>

> I have run both the Dell diagnostic and Scandisk in DOS mode.
> There are no problems with either one.
> This could be related somehow, to my USB HD which I use for backup. The
> problem appeared after doing a backup.
> Thanks
> Chuck

Yes, you may be right. I typically receive a checkdisk scan after I mirror
my 2nd hard disk. Generally though, it happens just once and WinXP is
satisfied after that initial reboot and beyond.\

Stew

Most likely it's been turned on to check after a bad shutdown and this can
occur even though it seems like a good shutdown (it happened to me on my ME
system for about a week and then after running Norton's and found the
cross-linked files, stopped.

Anyhow, check: Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System
Information/Tools/System Configuration utility, click on Advanced, and under
Advanced Troublshooting Settings check "disable Scandisk after bad
shutdown". That should stop it from popping up at startup.

"KA6UUP" <ka6uup@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> For some reason, My Dimension 8100 with Win ME has started attempting to
> run Scandisk in thorough mode every time my computer boots. I tried
> letting it run and gave up after several hours.
> I have disabled it in msconfig but am wondering what is causing this
> and/or can the flag which is set at shutdown be removed?
> Thanks
> Chuck

I would download and run the drive manufacturer's hard disk diagnostic software,
essentially the same software used by the manufacturer in the factory and by
service tech to recertify the drive. Scumdisk is a poor disk diagnostic. The
Dell diagnostics are little better if they from within the Windows environment.
The manufacturer's diagnostics provide the definitive and last answer regarding
the health of a disk drive... Ben Myers

On Tue, 10 May 2005 14:58:52 GMT, KA6UUP <ka6uup@pacbell.net> wrote:

>For some reason, My Dimension 8100 with Win ME has started attempting to
>run Scandisk in thorough mode every time my computer boots. I tried
>letting it run and gave up after several hours.
>I have disabled it in msconfig but am wondering what is causing this
>and/or can the flag which is set at shutdown be removed?
>Thanks
>Chuck

Also, take a look at this KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;273017

"KA6UUP" <ka6uup@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> For some reason, My Dimension 8100 with Win ME has started attempting to
> run Scandisk in thorough mode every time my computer boots. I tried
> letting it run and gave up after several hours.
> I have disabled it in msconfig but am wondering what is causing this
> and/or can the flag which is set at shutdown be removed?
> Thanks
> Chuck

I have run both the Dell diagnostic and Scandisk in DOS mode.
There are no problems with either one.
This could be related somehow, to my USB HD which I use for backup. The
problem appeared after doing a backup.
The problem has been solved.
Thanks to all who responded.
Chuck

>>For some reason, My Dimension 8100 with Win ME has started attempting to
>>run Scandisk in thorough mode every time my computer boots. I tried
>>letting it run and gave up after several hours.
>>I have disabled it in msconfig but am wondering what is causing this
>>and/or can the flag which is set at shutdown be removed?
>>Thanks
>>Chuck

Personally I like Spinrite 6.