Question Scratched my motherboard and now GPU is causing a boot loop (pics)

Oct 30, 2020
Hi all. I just put together a new build and during installation I scratched some trace marks on the motherboard right next to where the pcie slot is. Before I scratched it I had the computer up and running, but didn't put the GPU in yet.

After scratching it I put the GPU in and when I turned it back on it would just go in a constant boot loop and not post anything to the monitor. After removing the gpu the computer turned on perfectly again and I could use windows.

One thing to note is that the gpu I am using is an old gtx 670 while I wait for a 3070, but it was just working in an older pc.

Here are the other specs, all are brand new.
MSI Z490 A-Pro motherboard
Intel 10600k cpu
ADATA 16GB DDR4 3200 ram
WD 1TB M.2 SSD
750W PSU

Do you guys think this scratch is bad enough to cause an issue with the PCIE slot?
Motherboard Scratch
Motherboard Scratch 2

Hi all. I just put together a new build and during installation I scratched some trace marks on the motherboard right next to where the pcie slot is. Before I scratched it I had the computer up and running, but didn't put the GPU in yet.

After scratching it I put the GPU in and when I turned it back on it would just go in a constant boot loop and not post anything to the monitor. After removing the gpu the computer turned on perfectly again and I could use windows.

One thing to note is that the gpu I am using is an old gtx 670 while I wait for a 3070, but it was just working in an older pc.

Here are the other specs, all are brand new.
MSI Z490 A-Pro motherboard
Intel 10600k cpu
ADATA 16GB DDR4 3200 ram
WD 1TB M.2 SSD
750W PSU

Do you guys think this scratch is bad enough to cause an issue with the PCIE slot?
Motherboard Scratch
Motherboard Scratch 2
No however your issue may lay with external power connection, are you using a 6 pin power cord to the gpu?

Latest posts