Scratched Screen?

kye199

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2001
Hi all.

I got this Viewsonic monitor awhile back, but now I have money so I might be able to fix this. The problem is that the glass screen looks scratched, it's not like gashes or anything that you can feel if you run your fingers over it, but more like there is a layer of tint on it that is scratched off in some places. What is the easiest/cheapest way to fix this?

Thx
Luke

Now we're rockin like dokken!

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
All monitors use an anti-glare anti-static coating. The coating on the front of the tube not only reduces glare bit it is conductive (grounded to the chassis) and has a high resistance to bleed off static electricity slowly.

The most common application of the coating is done via a spin coat process, where the face of the CRT is pointed up, then spun. Droplets of the coating are applied to the center of the tube during the spin process. The centrifugal force makes the coating spread evenly over the face of the CRT. The CRT is then heated to cure the coating.

Better coatings are applied via a vapor deposition process.

Unfortunately if the coating is scratched or damaged it is virtually impossible to fix without replacing the CRT. Buffing the scratched spot usually will only remove more coating and make the problem worse.

Jim Witkowski
Hardware Engineer
<A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">MonitorsDirect</A>