Question Scratched tracers on motherboard ?

k3nn00

Commendable
May 17, 2021
I scratched my motherboard right next to the RAM slots while removing my cooler and now when I put both of my ram sticks in, the PC it won't even POST.
But when I use only one stick in the first slot it works.

Can this be fixed?
Motherboard is Asus Prime B360M-K

Yes it seems really bad. https://ibb.co/4SGyJ63
Here is the picture of the damaged area
It's cutting across 4 or 5 traces that are almost certainly data lines to one of the DIMM's, and it looks like two of them at least are cut.

I don't know if that's repairable, unfortunately, although an extremely skilled and well equipped tech may try. But even if successful it's likely to only be partly successful. Those data lines are timing sensitive so any lengthening or shortening of the path length will mess with timing. If the repair works it may very well be good only at much reduced memory clock speeds.

Other wise it appear your board is reduced to single channel only at this point.

Reactions: lvt

k3nn00

Commendable
May 17, 2021
It seems that you already damaged several electrical wires on the board's surface.

It's a miracle that the other RAM slot is still working.

I think you will be limited to 16Gb max without dual-channel thing.
I know I feel so bad now but its not an expensive PC anyways Ill sell what I can and just build something else in the future. Thank you.

I know I feel so bad now but its not an expensive PC anyways Ill sell what I can and just build something else in the future. Thank you.

Personally I don't feel very uncomfortable with the board, if it works, it works.

Many new computers (especially laptops) come out of the factory with just one RAM stick.