Question Screen glitches with Radeon RX580-O8G ?

Does the card need dusting out. I have saved cards that have started to show glitching that had hot spots due to clogged coolers that in turn made hot spots over the memory chips.

Hiacios

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
Does the card need dusting out. I have saved cards that have started to show glitching that had hot spots due to clogged coolers that in turn made hot spots over the memory chips.
I cleaned it with an electronic cleaner and replaced the thermal paste and it's still glitching. I just started researching GPU bottlenecking and I found out that my GPU is bottlenecked by about 40%! 🤦‍♂️

Hiacios

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
Well you should get a decent enough uplift.

It's a well known fact that bottleneck calculators are a load of crap.
I had never looked up bottlenecking until my GPU started doing this and it's the only explanation I found for what could've damaged the GPU if that is even possible.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Bottlenecking only means a limitation due to a mismatch in CPU/GPU resources. It cannot cause damage to your parts.

The most likely cause is failing VRAM. There are all sorts of causes of that, from just bad luck with the GPU's VRAM to a junk PSU pushing the GPU to its grave. Bottlenecking can not do this.

Hiacios

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
Bottlenecking only means a limitation due to a mismatch in CPU/GPU resources. It cannot cause damage to your parts.

The most likely cause is failing VRAM. There are all sorts of causes of that, from just bad luck with the GPU's VRAM to a junk PSU pushing the GPU to its grave. Bottlenecking can not do this.
I tired the GPU on another computer, and it did the exact same thing. I also put in one of my older GPUs and that glitch is completely gone. I don't know what could've happened to it as I take care of my computer. My PSU is a Thermaltake Smart 600W so I have plenty of power. My new GPU is arriving tomorrow, and I can't wait to see the improvements it has on my system! I'll post the test results.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I tired the GPU on another computer, and it did the exact same thing. I also put in one of my older GPUs and that glitch is completely gone. I don't know what could've happened to it as I take care of my computer. My PSU is a Thermaltake Smart 600W so I have plenty of power. My new GPU is arriving tomorrow, and I can't wait to see the improvements it has on my system! I'll post the test results.

That's a pretty low-quality PSU, a very cheaply made, group-regulated unit, so it could have indirectly caused the issue by damaging the GPU. You should not be using GPUs that require supplementary power with it.

Hiacios

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
That's a pretty low-quality PSU, a very cheaply made, group-regulated unit, so it could have indirectly caused the issue by damaging the GPU. You should not be using GPUs that require supplementary power with it.
I've had this build with that PSU for about 4 years now and I have never had an issue. How can a PSU damage a GPU?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I've had this build with that PSU for about 4 years now and I have never had an issue. How can a PSU damage a GPU?

With poor voltage regulation and ripple mitigation, just for starters.

If you continue to use this PSU, you risk losing your new GPU before it otherwise would reach its natural death. We see this quite a lot around here.

I'm not sure how you would "see" an issue other than the GPU's death. PSU damage to a GPU isn't just exploding, it's long term, like eating a pound of bacon for breakfast every day.

Hiacios

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
With poor voltage regulation and ripple mitigation, just for starters.

If you continue to use this PSU, you risk losing your new GPU before it otherwise would reach its natural death. We see this quite a lot around here.

I'm not sure how you would "see" an issue other than the GPU's death. PSU damage to a GPU isn't just exploding, it's long term, like eating a pound of bacon for breakfast every day.
Got it. I'm going to buy this PSU ASAP!
View: https://imgur.com/4jGQxEo

Last edited:

Geef

Distinguished
Don't ever worry about those bottlenecking websites/calculators. What they really do for people like us is just suggest where we have an opportunity to upgrade in the future! ;)

Reactions: Hiacios

Hiacios

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
My new PSU is arriving tomorrow along with a whole new set of fans by the same brand.
71f6PZsDpCL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
71xTg6-FYAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg