Question Screen says no signal when it should show the windows 10 boot logo

Nov 29, 2020
I recently got a new GPU and I only have a vga monitor so I am using a display port to vga adapter everything works fine except when the windows 10 boot logo is supposed to show it says no signal but when it finishes booting the login screen is there and everything is fine.

I have already tried using the driver cd that came with the GPU and tried using microsoft basic display adapter, with that the screen said no signal and never showed anything on the screen after rebooting so I had to reinstall windows and it still does it.

Here are my specs
CPU: Core I7 950
GPU: Powercolor RX 550
RAM: 10GB total @1600mhz
Motherboard: Gigabyte x58a-ud3r
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO
Monitor: Acer V193w

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Those adapters can be a bit problematic....

Windows is going merrily along and likely "showing" the logo.

However because of the imposed DP to VGA adapter the communication/handshake between the GPU and monitor may be taking a bit longer.

Do you have the monitor's User Manual?

FYI:

https://mans.io/files/viewer/77521/1

Verify that the link is a match to your monitor.

Then, double check the monitors configuration settings.

Could be that some setting is not working and after some attempts the monitor just goes to some default and the display appears.

Nov 29, 2020
Those adapters can be a bit problematic....

Windows is going merrily along and likely "showing" the logo.

However because of the imposed DP to VGA adapter the communication/handshake between the GPU and monitor may be taking a bit longer.

Do you have the monitor's User Manual?

FYI:

https://mans.io/files/viewer/77521/1

Verify that the link is a match to your monitor.

Then, double check the monitors configuration settings.

Could be that some setting is not working and after some attempts the monitor just goes to some default and the display appears.
I tried resetting the monitor to the default settings and it didnt help, so i tried messing with the monitor settings and it didnt help the issue either.

Nov 29, 2020
Try booting into Safe Mode - does that make a difference?

Another thought - go into BIOS and change the POST settings to display POST progress.

Determine what POST is doing (or trying to do) during the "no signal" time frame.
My bios does not have that setting or a similar setting, and if i boot into safe mode i never get a display in windows 10 at all.

Ralston18

Titan
Does the following User Manual link appear to be a match to your motherboard?

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/452712/Gigabyte-Ga-X58a-Ud3r.html?page=35#manual

If you press Delete as referenced (Page 35) does that lead to any POST options?

Could be Quick Boot related per Page 51.

Also on Page 52 there is a reference to Full Screen LOGO Show that suppresses normal POST messages.

Overall the key is to carefully work through BIOS (guided by the User Manual) without changing anything while looking for options and settings that may be causing the problem.

Make note of the settings I have identified plus any others that you note. Do not change anything .

And, going back a bit: Once Windows boots look in Reliability History. Are there any error codes, warnings, or informational events be captured that you can attribute to the missing Windows logo? Or any video, display, startup issue of any sort?

Nov 29, 2020
Does the following User Manual link appear to be a match to your motherboard?

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/452712/Gigabyte-Ga-X58a-Ud3r.html?page=35#manual

If you press Delete as referenced (Page 35) does that lead to any POST options?

Could be Quick Boot related per Page 51.

Also on Page 52 there is a reference to Full Screen LOGO Show that suppresses normal POST messages.

Overall the key is to carefully work through BIOS (guided by the User Manual) without changing anything while looking for options and settings that may be causing the problem.

Make note of the settings I have identified plus any others that you note. Do not change anything .

And, going back a bit: Once Windows boots look in Reliability History. Are there any error codes, warnings, or informational events be captured that you can attribute to the missing Windows logo? Or any video, display, startup issue of any sort?
That manual does in fact match my motherboard, when i press delete i do enter the bios configuration, the only option i saw other than ones you suggested thatcould possibly be causing the problem is the "Init display" setting. And when i looked in reliability history everything looked good.

Ralston18

Titan
Google:

"bios initial display output"

I found a number of links. For example:

https://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/2361/initial-display-output-selection-problems

Unfortunately I have no way to test.

However, do the search and delve into to it all a bit more. There may be a "Eureka" moment for you.

Do not be in a rush and before attempting any changes ensure that everything is backed up.

Also change only one thing at a time in case you need to go back and undo some change.,

Plus, anyone else following your thread may spot something and offer additional ideas and suggestions.

Fine with me.