Screen "Tearing" like issue (HELP)

khanleggett

Reputable
Jun 2, 2018
So i have had this issue of what i would describe as screen tearing but it isn't as a far as i know. the lines will move up and down my screen when moving my mouse left and right, as far as i have noticed it only happens in games, no tears on UFO Screen Tear tester or youtube videos, have had it happen since Win 10 update 1803 but cant be exactly sure, it happened with my old pc (Specs below) so i assumed build a new pc (Specs Below) with every part bought brand new and the issue would be gone, was i wrong.

Here is a video of my problem, i have capped my monitor at 60hz and the fps at 60 to properly show the issue, as at 144hz 144fps my phone does not pick it up so well: https://youtu.be/w1OvRqe9iHw -- this is a video of it being captured through fraps, the tear cant be seen: https://youtu.be/nGvs3S5emAo

pc specs (Old)

-

i7 6700k

Msi 980ti

G1 Gaming Mobo

Samsung 250 Evo SSD

WD Black 1tb HDD

G.Skill Tridend Z RAM 16gb 3000mhz

XFX Black Edition 850W

Windows 10 Pro

pc specs (New)

-

i7 8700k

EVGA 1070

Rog Strix z370-f gaming mobo

Avexit RAM 16gb 3000mhz

Samsung Evo 250gb

WD Black 1tb HDD

Corsair Gold 750W

Windows 10 Pro

Things i have tried:

As stated a brand new pc build, a better build at that, so i can rule out my hardware.

Also tried 3 different EVGA 1070's, a MSI 980ti and a Strix 1080 (a friend of mine builds pc's hence access to parts, he has also never seen this issue)

Tried 3 Monitors, Acer Predator GN246HLB 144hz, Acer Predator X34P Gsync Enabled still "Tearing" and a Benq RL55HM 60hz. all tried using DisplayPort, HDMI and DVI-Dual Link on each.

Setting different refresh rates/fps, this either reduces or increases how noticeable it is depending on the game, some games the line is just a very fast moving single line rather than the lines in the video above.

Have tried Low-Ultra settings in game, make no difference on what settings i use.

My temps are always below 70, EVGA 1070 usually around 60-65, i7 8700K usually around 60-70.

Can confirm enabling Vsync/Fast sync fixes it for some games but have never had to use it in the past it has always been fine, its a recent issue im having.

If anyone has any help or know/seen anyone having the same issue please leave some feedback as i don't know what else i can do at this point. thanks for reading.

gaborbarla

Distinguished
I agree that this is intriguing because simply this should not be happening. What is your FPS in these games? What games are your getting them in? Do you put everything on ultra? On a 144hz monitor (like mine) with decent FPS (e.g. above 100fps) I very seldom see any tearing (with v sync off). If you are getting over 100fps and have a 144hz monitor you should not see this. I suspect something is wrong with your drivers or direct X and your PC is slowing down. Alternatively you set up your games in such a way so that your reproduce the same issue which probably manifests itself because you have low FPS in the game.

This (to me at least) is not standardard screen tearing. On the system of yours this should not be so very visible unless you have lower than average frames.

khanleggett

Reputable
Jun 2, 2018

This is what screen tearing looks like for everyone? it looks much more severe than i have ever noticed anyone else have, thanks for that reply though i will look into it.

khanleggett

Reputable
Jun 2, 2018

Thanks for the reply, i have only capped at such fps and hz to better show the issue, as at 144hz 144fps+ its less noticeable to my phone's video capture but to my eyes its incredibly noticeable.

it happens on every game i play (Destiny 2, PUBG, Dayz, Rocket League, you name it i've played it, some worse than other but ultimately always there, i have used Low-Ultra settings, fps always above my refresh of 144hz and always the tear is visible.

khanleggett

Reputable
Jun 2, 2018

Tried adaptive sync yes, seems to be the worse of the options as it tears whenever it dips below my refresh.

khanleggett

Reputable
Jun 2, 2018

i have only really properly noticed it since a week or so after 1803 update to win 10 so it could be that, i have tried windows full screen ops, no luck, also i might add that as i never had this problem before say a month or two back i know this is not normal and that the tears are barely noticeable at a certain fps+ even on my old system (which had this problem too) i never noticed the tears before this issue started hence never even having to use vsync. also vsync/fast sync will fix it for some games but of course the input delay is horrendous on both..

gaborbarla

Distinguished
This is something relatively unique to you. There must be something that happens on your PC that creates this effect. It could be a 3rd party tool that you like or a settings. Some overlay perhaps interfering with games. It happened on two different PC of yours with different hardware so the reason must be something that you inadvertently do to windows. For me win 10 1803 just works. I did switch of the windows game bar and set high resolution scaling to be disabled.

You can also try these:
- switch off windows game bar
- game properties Disable Fullscreen Optimization for the game
- game properties switch off dpi scaling for high res (or somethging similar)
- In NVIDIA Control panel under adjust image settings with preview, click restore defaults and click apply
- under Adjust destop size and position, see if changing the scaling mode to full-screen and GPU makes a difference.
- switch off overlays that could be running. Windows game bar, teamspeak, discord, Msi afterburner steam etc have overlays that can cause issues.
- if all else fails reinstall windows from scratch and before doing anything other than installing drivers, test a game that would normally fail, but with a fresh install.

khanleggett

Reputable
Jun 2, 2018

So i disabled everything thats running apart from my game itself, no luck again.

whats the best way to go about re installing windows, i will try it now.

thanks man

khanleggett

Reputable
Jun 2, 2018

Okay, so i did a fresh install, nothing but drivers and pubg installed, no luck. got any other ideas i can try?

gaborbarla

Distinguished
A fresh install and an almost completely new PC did not fix the issue?
I have seen PSU cause screen tearing but you replaced my PSU also. You need to search for something that is slowing your PC down.

-Can you make sure your Hard drives run in AHCI and not IDE.
-And also that you windows is an orginal copy from the Microsoft site and not from some unreliable source. Otherwise you could be mining bitcoins for someone without knowing about it.

khanleggett

Reputable
Jun 2, 2018

My windows copy is from the microsoft site (media creation tool)
HDD's are in AHCI

PSU seems to be fine with 12v+ 3v+ and 5v+

PC is always fast and snappy never any unnecessary load when idle etc, even tried a new power cable and plugged into a different source of power, its got me stumped.

Vsync does fix it and when i cap my fps with rivatuner to 142 the ms delay isnt as bad but i still really dont want to use it, and even Gsync cant get rid of it, its insane lol.

thanks for your help so far, most helpful person i have run into in the past 2 months :)

khanleggett

Reputable
Jun 2, 2018
Have already taken it to a friends home to test it with his monitor, was no luck on that front, could something like the Sata Connectors to my hdd’s cause tearing? I had a pc BSOD to faulty sata’s before but not sure if it could cause tear.

gaborbarla

Distinguished

Seeing that you already replaced almost everything it probably wont hurt to try another SATA cable. I would actually also unplug the HDD and leave SSD only to test it out.
But I still think that it is most likely software related and would try Disable Fullscreen Optimization and the other things I said again with the fresh install. It might not hurt to try an older version of windows as well if all else fails just to see if that makes a difference. Finally if nothing works. Try to see if there is a common component between your builds that is causing this. I guess SATA cable could be causing this if the IO is having issues...

May 24, 2018

I'm in the same boat as this guy. Super competitive gamer dealing with this insane screen tearing. 240hz / 250FPS / GTX 1080 should be butter, but even using 240FPS/120FPS/any FPS I get this weird flickering screen tear. I want to go pro on Rocket League, but with this, I cannot. Compared basically the same setup to a pros setup and he gets no screen tearing, and I do. Bought a new PC, tried a different outlet, used basic mouse/keyboard, different wiring/display cables, nvidia settings, windows updates, sata cables, i've had this happen on 3 DIFFERENT $2,000+ computers with zero fixes. Cannot run the game smooth, it's terrible. Video in action: https://youtu.be/I4GjRqvZSyY

I'd pay $500 for a fix. Completely serious. Any other ideas please let me know, I have not tried the setup at someone elses house but if you think it's possible that is the problem, then let me know.

Thanks, both of you.

khanleggett

Reputable
Jun 2, 2018

Never did fix it dude, seen a few people with the same "severe tearing" too, possibly just amplified normal tearing witha windows update, not really sure but its horrendous.

khanleggett

Reputable
Jun 2, 2018

Identical to mine dude, gets worse the closer the framerate gets to the refresh rate for me but its always there no matter what.

im guessing as i said in another reply it must be something to do with a windows or some driver that is amplifying the tearing as its only since maybe May this year i have had it, how long would you say you've noticed it dude?

cheers!

May 24, 2018

Hey!

Here's my thread if you want to take a look, I added 2 more better videos to it: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3748118/rocket-league-weird-wave-vertical-line-250-reward-fix.html

I sadly have been experiencing this since October 2016, and it's slowly making me go insane. I have went back to Windows 10's First Update,Windows 7, and XP (for fun, as a test) and it happened on all 3 OS's. I seriously am out of ideas at this point, although since you took your setup to a friends house, and it still occurred (that's the one thing I have not tried) I don't think I will try that.

I'm pretty desperate to be paying $250 for a fix, i'm serious when I say I copied a pro players EXACT settings/setup/even accessories, and it only happened to me. That, is why, I don't think it's software, but who knows. We're in a very minor minority, and I wonder why that is.

May 24, 2018
I believe i've somewhat fixed it/workaround. Updated solution being posted tonight, contact me on steam if you want to know it right now. Currently eating dinner, thought i'd let you know I have a solution.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/ssrock101/

Still add me, i'd like to discuss it with you further!

khanleggett

Reputable
Jun 2, 2018

Sounds good, you're profile is on private so unable to add you, here's mine. https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198193136074/