Screen "Tearing" like issue (HELP)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

khanleggett

Reputable
Jun 2, 2018
So i have had this issue of what i would describe as screen tearing but it isn't as a far as i know. the lines will move up and down my screen when moving my mouse left and right, as far as i have noticed it only happens in games, no tears on UFO Screen Tear tester or youtube videos, have had it happen since Win 10 update 1803 but cant be exactly sure, it happened with my old pc (Specs below) so i assumed build a new pc (Specs Below) with every part bought brand new and the issue would be gone, was i wrong.

Here is a video of my problem, i have capped my monitor at 60hz and the fps at 60 to properly show the issue, as at 144hz 144fps my phone does not pick it up so well: https://youtu.be/w1OvRqe9iHw -- this is a video of it being captured through fraps, the tear cant be seen: https://youtu.be/nGvs3S5emAo

pc specs (Old)

-

i7 6700k

Msi 980ti

G1 Gaming Mobo

Samsung 250 Evo SSD

WD Black 1tb HDD

G.Skill Tridend Z RAM 16gb 3000mhz

XFX Black Edition 850W

Windows 10 Pro

pc specs (New)

-

i7 8700k

EVGA 1070

Rog Strix z370-f gaming mobo

Avexit RAM 16gb 3000mhz

Samsung Evo 250gb

WD Black 1tb HDD

Corsair Gold 750W

Windows 10 Pro

Things i have tried:

As stated a brand new pc build, a better build at that, so i can rule out my hardware.

Also tried 3 different EVGA 1070's, a MSI 980ti and a Strix 1080 (a friend of mine builds pc's hence access to parts, he has also never seen this issue)

Tried 3 Monitors, Acer Predator GN246HLB 144hz, Acer Predator X34P Gsync Enabled still "Tearing" and a Benq RL55HM 60hz. all tried using DisplayPort, HDMI and DVI-Dual Link on each.

Setting different refresh rates/fps, this either reduces or increases how noticeable it is depending on the game, some games the line is just a very fast moving single line rather than the lines in the video above.

Have tried Low-Ultra settings in game, make no difference on what settings i use.

My temps are always below 70, EVGA 1070 usually around 60-65, i7 8700K usually around 60-70.

Can confirm enabling Vsync/Fast sync fixes it for some games but have never had to use it in the past it has always been fine, its a recent issue im having.

If anyone has any help or know/seen anyone having the same issue please leave some feedback as i don't know what else i can do at this point. thanks for reading.

khanleggett

Reputable
Jun 2, 2018
So i have a somewhat solution, my main game is Destiny 2, i always notice tearing there because i play it so much, so recently i picked up an OC'd 6700K and an Aorus 1080ti Extreme pc, along with a 165hz OC Acer Predator monitor with gsync, forced vsync off and gsync on and set my hz to 165hz but capped in game Destiny to 144, no tearing and butter smooth.

its the best i have so far and can actually enjoy most games, hope it can help you somewhat, if you need the monitor specs etc just leave a reply.

gaborbarla

Distinguished

My understanding is that he has tried vsync which by default should also work. But I would be interested to see if it is indeed something like this. One can limit frames in games via MSI afterburner.
there is a video here on how to limit FPS in BF1, can khanleggett please try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAmfEuZlo9U

I would try 144 and 145 if you have a 144hz monitor for starters.
Just a note khanleggett's tearing seems way worse than normal fom the videos. I also have ocassional tearing in PUGB but only on rocks and when the game is taking strain. That is normal I would say. I dont use any kind of sync due to trying to stay competitive and not increaseing input lag via sync techniques. It works for me and my tearing is almost non existent especially in BF1 and in the PUBG with the latest patches. This is on a GTX1080, 7700k CPU @1440p 144Hz.

@khanleggett can you try the frame limiter in BF1 as per the video?

khanleggett

Reputable
Jun 2, 2018

Hi again mate, to be honest i think my issue was just normal tearing but i had just never noticed it before, as with vsync it fixed it but of course the input lag is unplayable, i'm now using gsync to get rid of my tears and no delay what so ever.

the reason my bf1 looked so bad was because it was capped at 60hz at 60fps on a 144hz monitor im guessing, i have seen a few videos on youtube explaining tearing and they showed the same thing.

my problem was that i always had a less than average pc so my fps was very rarely higher than refresh, since having my 8700k and 1080ti 5months ago i think i have been more susceptible to the tearing as my frames are always incredibly high , but thats just my view.

May 24, 2018

gaborbarla was spot on.

I used Asus GPU Tweak II and set the frame limit to 245 (which 5 above sets it to 240, and I have a 240hz monitor) and it's basically fixed. But.. it still happens, but not nearly as bad.