[SOLVED] Screens lose signal after starting a game

Mar 17, 2021
So my screens turn black and lose their signal to my pc (the cables are all plugged in correctly) when starting a game and playing for about a minute. but even then the sound still comes out of the speakers correctly. the only way to get the screens to turn on and show an image again is to cut the pc from its powersupply.

I've already clean installed a driver for my GPU

as for my hardware:
-GPU: Radeon RX Vega 64
-PSU: be quiet! SB9-600W
-CPU: MSI B450M Pro-M2
-a couple more fans for cooling

I really hope someone can help me with this problem since its really frustrating to just get a blackscreen while playing a game

Solution
More demanding games/work requires more power.

More power means more heat.

Are you able to monitor system/component temperatures?

Your GPU:

Typical Board Power (Desktop): 295 Watts
Minimum PSU Recommendation: 750 watts.

Reference:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/radeon-rx-vega-64

After two years of being sort of in the middle (600 Watts) that Be quiet! SB9-600W may be starting to degrade.

Some PSU component, when you are gaming, is simply not able to keep up and power to the GPU falters.

Do you have access to another known working PSU that you can swap in and test?

If you have a multi-meter and know how to use it (or know someone who does) you can test the PSU to some extent...

Ralston18

Titan
How old is that Be quiet! SB9-600W ?

Condition: new, used, reconditioned?

Heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit mining?

Dual Monitors - correct?

Installed drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

RAM? Any overclocking?

Before gaming and causing the screen(s) to turn black look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that precede the black screens.

Start with Reliability History - much more user friendly and the time line format can be quite revealing.

Reactions: helper800
Mar 17, 2021
How old is that Be quiet! SB9-600W ?

Condition: new, used, reconditioned?

Heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit mining?

Dual Monitors - correct?

Installed drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

RAM? Any overclocking?

Before gaming and causing the screen(s) to turn black look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that precede the black screens.

Start with Reliability History - much more user friendly and the time line format can be quite revealing.

My SPU is about 2 years old now and i bought it new. I use my PC for gaming mostly yea but nothing like video editing. yes i do have 2 monitors. My SSD is a corsair one wich i dont know the exact model of but it has 1TB factory memory and i have 338GB free atm. I have 16GB ram but it never reaches more than 80% (and that i achieved by running terraria 2 times for some reason). and my screens turn black when I'm in a game and then say they lost their signal. They lose that signal at the same time and my sound continues playing most of the times. though they just turn black without displaying any warning message or error codes

Ralston18

Titan
Try other known working video cables. An existing cable or connection may be faulty.

The error messages will not necessarily display when the screen(s) go black. You must open Reliability History and Event Viewer to see captured errors, etc..

Even if you need to temporarily shut down one monitor or the other to avoid screens going black.

Mar 17, 2021
Try other known working video cables. An existing cable or connection may be faulty.

The error messages will not necessarily display when the screen(s) go black. You must open Reliability History and Event Viewer to see captured errors, etc..

Even if you need to temporarily shut down one monitor or the other to avoid screens going black.
Nothing fishy is noted in the Reliability History or even the Event viewer. And the videocables arent an issue. I already suspected theyre not though since the Screens turn off at the exact same time.
Trying to start something with only one screen doesnt change the result either

Mar 17, 2021
How consistent is that "one minute" of gaming before the screens go black?

Just games or when you do other things: browsing, light work, viewing online videos?
everything works very well when I'm not having a game running. some games need a little longer for the blackscreen to occur (for example pokemon emerald. it happend after about one hour) but more demanding games take just one minute.
so browsing, working on documents and viewing some videos works perfectly

Ralston18

Titan
More demanding games/work requires more power.

More power means more heat.

Are you able to monitor system/component temperatures?

Your GPU:

Typical Board Power (Desktop): 295 Watts
Minimum PSU Recommendation: 750 watts.

Reference:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/radeon-rx-vega-64

After two years of being sort of in the middle (600 Watts) that Be quiet! SB9-600W may be starting to degrade.

Some PSU component, when you are gaming, is simply not able to keep up and power to the GPU falters.

Do you have access to another known working PSU that you can swap in and test?

If you have a multi-meter and know how to use it (or know someone who does) you can test the PSU to some extent.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However any voltages out of spec would be a sign that the PSU is likely failing.

Reactions: helper800
Solution