Question Screwed gfs computer. Helpp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2021
Okay guys, bare with me. I like to think I have somewhat common sense and am pretty good at at tinkering/fixing crap. However I clearly know nothing about computers, their components, booting, or operating systems. . Tbh I barely know how to play minesweeper 🤣. I was playing around on the gfs computer and the screen just randomly went black and said "please power down and connect pcie cables?" Great, whatd I tear up now.. dont ever remember her having this problem.. from what I read i checked all the cables inside the tower. Which is custom built. Thought I read online was a graphics card issue. Sooo, ol bob the builder here , powers down the computer. Draws the excess power off by switching off the power supply on the back and holding down the power button to drain excess power from the board. I checked all the cables and they seemed like they all had good connection so I pulled out the graphics card and and there's quite a bit of corrosion on terminals on top of the board. Got the ol evea geforce gtx970 graphics card. Was gunna just hurry and order a new one till I saw the price. .. read the message could've been caused by psu so I got a new one and installed all the wires and still the same issue. Somewhere along the lines I thought I needed to clr cmos. Soooo... I did. <Mod Edit>. Now what. Now I gotta boot the computer? Whatever that is. This is what I'd like to know.. I need to get the computer somewhat operating. Without the 970 graphics card for now as the mobo has a card built in? I'm not even sure whether she had windows 8 or 10 operating system on the computer and I don't wanna boot the wrong one and loose all of her data.. someone help. Definitely an uh oh

Last edited by a moderator:

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
If you're lucky, she has an Intel with an integrated graphics on and you can use that to boot into windows. If she has an AMD CPU you're most likely screwed.

You gave us too little details in that post. We need to have somewhat a full spec of the build. Also what exact model of the PSU did you buy? Can you at least send pics of the rig?

All this aside, why would you even start tinkering around it if you have no clue of what you're doing. Wouldn't have been easier to take it to a proper repair shop and have them look at it? Issues happens, and this one it totally not dependant on you. It looks like either the graphics card died or the PSU. You said you changed it but given your "expertise", i don't know if I can trust the way you connected everything back or the quality of the psu itself lol. No offense.

Last edited:
Somewhere along the lines I thought I needed to clr cmos. Soooo... I did. <Mod Edit>. Now what. Now I gotta boot the computer? Whatever that is. This is what I'd like to know..
You just have to go into bios and search for the boot tab to tell it to boot from the hard drive, resetting the bios cleared this option back to default.
Take pics of the bios with your smartphone (or put a usb stick in the system and press the printscreen button and it will put a pic on the usb stick) if you can't find the setting and use imgurl or whatever to upload the pictures and send us the links.

Also if the mobo (CPU) has a GPU just plug the monitor cable into the mobo port and see if it just works.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Sounds to me like the PSU (at least on the PCI cable) went kaput. The prompt to "connect PCIe power" I usually encounter after pulling my GPU out and forgetting to plug in the PCIe power. If the GPU is kaput instead, I suspect that you'll see total loss of display.

Also, it'll help if you can tell what the components are in the system; if you have an integrated graphics on the processor, the PC is at least usable at the moment.

Most likely you're not corrupting anymore data than if any were corrupted during the sudden loss of display. You're tinkering at hardware level and I believe you're not doing something like abrupt power up-down cycle.

Jun 7, 2021
Well. . Its not letting me send any pictures from my phone? My im not smart enough. Only letting me choose from a url or Google, fb, youtube.. Yada Yada.
It has a fatality z97 killer mobo, which has something above the sata ports that says asrock. Lol. Evea geforce gtx 970 graphics card, Cougar cmx assuming 1000w? psu.. cooler master fan with radiators.. has stickers on the front of the tower. Intel core i5, powered by asrock, and g.skill..
While I was using messenger on it originally itd work for a few minutes after turning on them the screen would go black. I restarted it and it did the same thing. The next day I turned it on, it worked for a few minutes then did the same thing (screen went black reading "please power off and connect pcie cables")..
The mobo and cables are all marked so I dint think I got them mixed up I've checked them and all seem correct.
I replaced the psu with a new corsair rm850x psu using the new cables which are all marked so I don't think I screwed that up. ..
I'm not sure what windows operating system she was running.. 8 or 10? Don't wanna install the wrong one and wipe the memory if thats a thing..
Also I tried to boot it, not really knowing how or how to explain what I done but it said the hard drive wasn't being read. Which was never an issue until I cleared cmos, been trying to read online and it said after cmos clear have to adjust sata setting in bios for it to find the hard Drive?
Sorry for the headache guys.. im sure i sound dumb lmao
P.s I'm new here, not really sure how to work the site or respond to each comment yet. And there isn't any computer shops around here within an hour and a half I could take it to that I know of. Thanks everyone! Bear with me

Jun 8, 2021
Well. . Its not letting me send any pictures from my phone? My im not smart enough. Only letting me choose from a url or Google, fb, youtube.. Yada Yada.
It has a fatality z97 killer mobo, which has something above the sata ports that says asrock. Lol. Evea geforce gtx 970 graphics card, Cougar cmx assuming 1000w? psu.. cooler master fan with radiators.. has stickers on the front of the tower. Intel core i5, powered by asrock, and g.skill..
While I was using messenger on it originally itd work for a few minutes after turning on them the screen would go black. I restarted it and it did the same thing. The next day I turned it on, it worked for a few minutes then did the same thing (screen went black reading "please power off and connect pcie cables")..
The mobo and cables are all marked so I dint think I got them mixed up I've checked them and all seem correct.
I replaced the psu with a new corsair rm850x psu using the new cables which are all marked so I don't think I screwed that up. ..
I'm not sure what windows operating system she was running.. 8 or 10? Don't wanna install the wrong one and wipe the memory if thats a thing..
Also I tried to boot it, not really knowing how or how to explain what I done but it said the hard drive wasn't being read. Which was never an issue until I cleared cmos, been trying to read online and it said after cmos clear have to adjust sata setting in bios for it to find the hard Drive?
Sorry for the headache guys.. im sure i sound dumb lmao
P.s I'm new here, not really sure how to work the site or respond to each comment yet. And there isn't any computer shops around here within an hour and a half I could take it to that I know of. Thanks everyone! Bear with me

That Intel Core i5 sticker is a good sign.

What I want you to do is remove her GPU entirely from the computer, plug in the display cable from the monitor into the motherboard (almost all intel CPUs have integrated graphics and will work without a dedicated GPU - the exceptions are 9th generation F series.)
Clear the CMOS by removing the battery or if theres a button to clear CMOS press that
Once you've done that turn the computer on and immediately start spamming the Delete key or F2 key, either will get you into BIOS provided you have a display on screen.

Let me know if you get a display on screen and the BIOS screen to show up - youll know because it will look all technical and flashy.

Ope, got it fixed. Thanks guys!

It's a good idea to list what you did to fix it as this forum gets a lot of visitors and whatever you did can help others.

Okay guys, bare with me.

Also, don't ask strange people from the internet to get naked with you, this is not the right site for that sort of thing.

"bare

adjective
  1. (of a person or part of the body) not clothed or covered.
    "he was bare from the waist up"
"

Status
Not open for further replies.