Seagate 4TB SSHD not recognized by BIOS or Windows 8 installation

GeorgeCrecy

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014
Hello all,

I recently finished putting together a new computer, and was happily beginning to install Windows 8, until I came to the point where it asked where to install the OS, and that it did not see my hard drive.
I looked further into the matter, only to see that my BIOS did not recognize it either. I checked all the connections, which were fine, and everything else is working properly, so I am hoping I might find some help here. System specs are as follows:

Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 with AMD760G Chipset and Socket AM3+
Graphics Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 FX-797G-TDFC
RAM: CORSAIR CMY16GX3M2A2400C11A Vengeance Pro Gold 16GB 2x8GB 240P DDR3 2400MHZ
Chipset: AMD FX-8320 AM3+ 3.5GHz Vishera 8-core Black Edition w/fan
PSU: Solid Gear 850W ATX PSU w/ 120mm Fan (SDGR-850E)
Hard Drive: Seagate Desktop 4 TB Solid State Hybrid Drive SATA 6 GB with NCQ 64 MB Cache 3.5-Inch (ST4000DX001)
Disk Drive: LG UH12NS30 12X SATA Blu-ray Combo Drive 3D M-DISC DVD CD Burner Internal

Again, the computer boots fine, and I get the POST beep, however the hard drive is not recognized by the BIOS or windows 8 installation. The disk drive is recognized. I am not sure if perhaps I need to get new SATA cables, or if the drivers need to be updated somehow.
Additionally, I am worried that the system is only compatible with Windows OS' up to Windows 7, as the documentation seems to have been printed prior to it coming out.
I thank you for your help, and I look forward to your replies.

GeorgeCrecy

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014
Hey there Emerald and Paul,

I appreciate both of your suggestions. Emerald, I did already switch the cords for the two drives, but the same thing happened, so it isn't bad cords. I fear you may be right, that my hard drive is bad, even though it is completely new. However, I also think Paul has a point, and the hard drive does state that I might need to use UEFI and special drivers to use it. I would like to see if I can get anything under way on that score, and am already attempting to get it to use an UEFI system, but any help in this regard would be appreciated.

EDIT: I might also mention that when I get to the point in the Windows 8 installation where I am attempting to find the driver to install it to, I get the "To install the device driver for your drive, insert the installation media containing the driver files, and then click OK" error. I am right now going to attempt to install the UEFI BIOS using this, as the EZ Flash 2.0 has not been allowing it.

GeorgeCrecy

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014
Well, the Microsoft website says that GPT drives - which are pretty much anything that have more than 2.2 TB - need to use UEFI if it is going to be booted from. What I have seen in the documentation and website indicates that I won't be able to get UEFI onto it. So I think my best bet here is to get a 150 or 200 GB HD and use that for booting, either that or switch out my Motherboard.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I looked at ASUS' description of your mobo, and it does not specify that the BIOS includes UEFI support. That is where it would be. UEFI support is not something you add the the HDD or to Windows. You might check with ASUS Tech Support to verify whether this mobo has UEFI support, or can get it by BIOS update.

You are correct - you need UEFI support in BIOS to BOOT from a GPT-Partitioned drive. If you don't have it, your best option is to buy a drive (or SSD) no more than 2 TB and Install Windows on it using the older MBR Partitioning system. Do this with ONLY that smaller storage unit in the machine. AFTER Windows is running, install the large HDD. Then you can use the full capacity of that unit for storage, just not as a boot device.

NOTE that, to use large HDD's with the GPT system, you MUST be using a 64-bit version of Windows. So be sure that is what you install. This is because Windows 7 and 8 DO have their own device drivers for such HDD units, but ONLY in the 64-bit versions. You do NOT need any other drivers to use the large drive. If you set up this way, when you get the 4 TB unit installed, Windows itself should detect that new storage device and help you to install the required driver, just like any other new device. Then you'll need to use Windows' Disk Management to Create a New Simple Volume on the drive.

Haunchu

Honorable
May 9, 2013

What was your solution? I have this SSHD and can only get my Mobo to rarely recogonize it and windows never does