singh.rs.rohan49

Prominent
Sep 2, 2018
My Seagate 2tb hard drive suddenly stopped working, the motor is working but the led is not blinking. It's not even showing any trace on disk management or in boot screen. Any help will be appreciated I don't want to lose the data. There was only 50gb left on the drive if it's related to that please tell me. It's approximately 2 year old. I didn't put the drive on any load or didn't gave any shock so the mechanism should be fine.. still it's not showing.
Thank you so much!

Solution
Actually the pcb was not working so i removed the chip and placed the drive in the sata port and now it's working fine.. I could have done this before if I knew the problem.. thank you everyone for your reply.. I didn't knew that they use laptop drive inside the case. Although I have to find that out on my own 😅. Because there was no option left and the warranty period was expired so i decided to open it myself and I found that it was a laptop drive..
a lot of people have issues with external drive's housing just stopping to work eventually.
usually it is the control interface that converts the actual drive from SATA to USB.

first try a different system USB port, a different USB cable, and a different power cable.

usually the only way to test if the physical drive is still working properly is to remove it from the external housing and connect it directly to your motherboard.

singh.rs.rohan49

Prominent
Sep 2, 2018
a lot of people have issues with external drive's housing just stopping to work eventually.
usually it is the control interface that converts the actual drive from SATA to USB.

first try a different system USB port, a different USB cable, and a different power cable.

usually the only way to test if the physical drive is still working properly is to remove it from the external housing and connect it directly to your motherboard.
Okay thank you! I'll try to connect it directly to mother board, I've already tried different usb ports, and due to lockdown I can't get a different cable.

My Seagate 2tb hard drive suddenly stopped working, the motor is working but the led is not blinking. It's not even showing any trace on disk management or in boot screen. Any help will be appreciated I don't want to lose the data. There was only 50gb left on the drive if it's related to that please tell me. It's approximately 2 year old. I didn't put the drive on any load or didn't gave any shock so the mechanism should be fine.. still it's not showing.
Thank you so much!

Hi, sorry to see that you are having problems with your drive.

Which is the model number of the drive? Can you verify if the drive is detected by our diagnostic software SeaTools for Windows?

Apr 22, 2020
Hi there, sorry that you are having problems, I am too. My Seagate external hard drive has stopped loading on my laptop. When I plug it in, the light comes on, and it makes a slight whirring noise, but just nothing on my laptop. I'm not very technical at all so would appreciate some advice. Seems strange that the unit is lighting up, but not working! Thanks

Hi there, sorry that you are having problems, I am too. My Seagate external hard drive has stopped loading on my laptop. When I plug it in, the light comes on, and it makes a slight whirring noise, but just nothing on my laptop. I'm not very technical at all so would appreciate some advice. Seems strange that the unit is lighting up, but not working! Thanks

Hi, very sorry for your troubles. Do you have any important data on it?

We recommend connecting the drive with another cable and to another port. Does it appear on the disk management, device manager or the BIOS?

Reactions: Lislemundo
Apr 22, 2020
Hi, very sorry for your troubles. Do you have any important data on it?

We recommend connecting the drive with another cable and to another port. Does it appear on the disk management, device manager or the BIOS?
Thanks for the response. There is a lot of info that I really don't want to lose!

I cannot view it on device manager as it is a company laptop and I don't seem to have those rights. Not sure how to check on the BIOS (having just Googled BIOS!). Will need to order a cable to test that. Are they fairly standard?

Thanks for the response. There is a lot of info that I really don't want to lose!

I cannot view it on device manager as it is a company laptop and I don't seem to have those rights. Not sure how to check on the BIOS (having just Googled BIOS!). Will need to order a cable to test that. Are they fairly standard?

Yes they are fairly standard. Which is the model number of the drive? With the number we can help you find the cable, if you want. :)

No

SLR, It's not showing in the seatools, as I can see the motor is working but the led is off and it's not showing anywhere I've checked bios, disk management, seatools and my mobile device through otg cable.. Is it about the data cable?
Yes it could be the cable or the port that has a malfunction. Can you connect the drive to another computer to see if it is being detected. Could you also check if the drive appears in command prompt?

singh.rs.rohan49

Prominent
Sep 2, 2018
Yes it could be the cable or the port that has a malfunction. Can you connect the drive to another computer to see if it is being detected. Could you also check if the drive appears in command prompt?
Sorry for replying so late, our local Store was open just recently due to corona virus. So i used a different cable on a different system, it was not showing even in the command prompt. What should I do there was lot of important data on this drive.

DSzymborski

Titan
Sorry for replying so late, our local Store was open just recently due to corona virus. So i used a different cable on a different system, it was not showing even in the command prompt. What should I do there was lot of important data on this drive.

If it's not accessible in any way, then software options like Recuva are out for you. At that point, you would need to send it to a data recovery lab, though be forewarned that these can easily cost you over $1000 depending on how difficult the job is.

Unfortunately, the only foolproof way to not lose important data is to not lose it in the first place. A robust backup regimen is a key part of PC upkeep, no different than changing the oil in your car or the air filter in your furnace. If you did not make proper backups, your choice may come down whether it's worse to lose the money or the data.

Data recovery is not part of a standard limited warranty (and it's not a Seagate specific thing, it's all hard drives).

singh.rs.rohan49

Prominent
Sep 2, 2018
Actually the pcb was not working so i removed the chip and placed the drive in the sata port and now it's working fine.. I could have done this before if I knew the problem.. thank you everyone for your reply.. I didn't knew that they use laptop drive inside the case. Although I have to find that out on my own 😅. Because there was no option left and the warranty period was expired so i decided to open it myself and I found that it was a laptop drive..

Reactions: seagate_surfer
Solution