• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Seagate External Hard Drive

Mufassir

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Hello,
I have a seagate 500 GB external hard drive that I have been using for the last one month. I moved to my home town recently and when I tried to plug in my external drive, the computer seems to recognize it but doesnt show it in my computer as a removable media. I went to device manager and found it to be listed there. I went to disk management and apart from Disk 0, which is the basic drive for my PC, I found a new DISK 1 but it shows 3.86 GB only. I tried to initialize but says the request could not be performed because of an I/O error. I checked in three different PC's. No luck whatsoever. There's no provision of assigning a drive letter. So I could not chckdsk. Any solution would be immensly helpful...
Regards
Masum

Mufassir

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Yes it does have a power cable. I am using it. I tried all the ports. And I tried in three different computers. The cable seems to be allright. Any more suggestion?

thirteenthcor

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Does your home town use a different amount of voltage in the wall-outlets? If it's too low it could cause drive-boot problems. It may not be able to initialize and is throwing weird readings. I know the 2.5 HDDs that I run on my DVD player do this.

IF you're using wall adapters that's the first culprit I would address.