Question Seagate Hard Disk Problem: Sudden disappears and re-appear after some time

Chetan_g

Commendable
Jul 5, 2017
Hello all,

In recent days I'm witnessing a strange problem in PC.

The Hard disk drive (SATA) 1 TB suddenly gets undetected and system freezes, not even BIOS shows it. However, on keeping the system off for about 1 Hr to 2 hrs and booting again the Hard disk gets detected and works as normal. Again after some time say about 1 hr it gets undetected! I have checked the cables and changed the connectors, cleaned the dirt, all seems to be intact, but the problem persists.

Any help will be appreciated.

Is this the OS drive, or, a secondary storage drive?

If you've already swapped cables and ports and the problem stays with the drive, I'd say certainly the drive could simply be failing, and to consult with Seagate's RMA/or your PC warranty folks (if applicable) with a description of your symptoms....

If the PC is out of warranty, a Crucial MX500 SSD and a fresh reinstall will make it seem 4x as fast anyway....(or, if your drive lasts 30-50 minutes without locking up, you can use Crucial's free version of Acronis True Image to clone your existing drive over to the new SSD)

Good luck

Chetan_g

Commendable
Jul 5, 2017
Is this the OS drive, or, a secondary storage drive?

If you've already swapped cables and ports and the problem stays with the drive, I'd say certainly the drive could simply be failing, and to consult with Seagate's RMA/or your PC warranty folks (if applicable) with a description of your symptoms....

If the PC is out of warranty, a Crucial MX500 SSD and a fresh reinstall will make it seem 4x as fast anyway....(or, if your drive lasts 30-50 minutes without locking up, you can use Crucial's free version of Acronis True Image to clone your existing drive over to the new SSD)

Good luck
Hi, thanks for the reply , I too feel that the drive may be failing. But I am not soooo sure about it. The drive gets detected and works as usual post-cold boot up but after some time it simply disappears as if it failed ! this phenomenon I am not able to understand.