Question Seagate Ironwolf 8TB Drives not showing on PC.

Mason1204

Honorable
Sep 14, 2015
So from what I've read online, NAS drives should be able to be used in desktop computers. I just bought 2x Seagate Ironwolf 8TB drives and they aren't showing up in BIOS. I've updated my BIOS to the latest version. My motherboard is Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X. I've tested different cables, tried different ports, nothing. Please help me get this figured out!

RealBeast

Titan
Sure, those drives should work fine with your motherboard.

I will assume that they are powered up and attached to SATA ports that are enabled with good cables.
Do they show up in disk management? If so, initialize and then format them.
If not, run an elevated command prompt (right click run as admin) and type diskpart, then type list disk. Do they show up in the list?

Mason1204

Honorable
Sep 14, 2015
Sure, those drives should work fine with your motherboard.

I will assume that they are powered up and attached to SATA ports that are enabled with good cables.
Do they show up in disk management? If so, initialize and then format them.
If not, run an elevated command prompt (right click run as admin) and type diskpart, then type list disk. Do they show up in the list?

I ran the diskpart and they do not show up on the list. Nor disk management. And yes tested with good cables.

Mason1204

Honorable
Sep 14, 2015
Are they brand new or were they previously used in an NAS box running Linux? If so, booting from a Live Linus stick made with Unetbootin can help reformat them.
So, nobody told me Nvme drives disable sata ports. Long story short, I dont actually need all my sata ports, but I am using them all currently so I can copy all my data onto these drives. I was able to get them setup in a RAID 1 config and all seems fine. (Also I removed my new nvme drive to do this.) Once I get all the data moved over, I will replug up my sata cables and reinstall the nvme drive. Thanks for helping.