Question Second M.2 drive disappears from file manager ?

Apr 11, 2021
Hello, I have a secondary M.2 SSD (WD Blue) that will disappear entirely from my file manager. It will show back up after a system restart, but after a little while it will disappear again. Has every time since I built this computer in January. Anyone have any ideas to fix this so I don't have to restart every time I want to use the drive?

System specs:
AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
Gigabyte B550 Vision D motherboard
32 GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz
Gigabyte RTX 2060
Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB (OS drive)
WD Blue 3.0 1TB SSD (malfunctioning SSD)

Thanks in advance,
Hank

Ralston18

Titan
Is the time to disappearance consistent?

Any power or sleep settings configured on your computer?

Restart the system and verify that the drive is present.

The open Reliability Monitor and observe what all is happening and watch the drive as well.

Determine what changes when the drive disappears.

Also look in Reliability History. There may be some entry being made when the drive vanishes.

Note: if the malfunctioning SSD contains any important data be sure to back up any such data. Just in case.....

Apr 11, 2021
I usually try to put the computer to sleep every night just so the lights inside are off. Usually the drive will disappear within a day or two, from what I can remember. Reliability history has one occurrence of a Windows Hardware Error, but I know the problem has been apparent since that notification (2/12/21). Has nothing else hardware related, just app crashes and the like. Would the drive letter perhaps cause an issue? For some reason I had my OS drive as drive C and this secondary one as drive B, but yesterday I changed it to D. Could having it as drive B been an issue?

TRENDING THREADS