[SOLVED] Second RAM socket STOPPED working

alepopoulo110

Commendable
Jan 22, 2021
Hello, I have a motherboard foxconn h61mxt1/f2/-s/-v . running on an intel core i3-2100 @ 3100 MHz. This board has 2 RAM sockets and it fits with DDR3.

The computer came in with 2 RAM sticks, Transcend, 2gb each, 1333 MHz. At some point (years ago) one of the two got damaged so I replaced it with a Corsair vengeance 4gb, 1600 MHz and everything worked just fined, until today: So today I had one of the old Transcend 2gb sticks and the Corsair 4gb up and running. I bought another Corsair vengeance stick, DDR3 of course, this time 8gb and 1600MHz in order to replace the old Transcend stick with it. After I took everything off to make the swap, the second RAM socket stopped working. I have tried all possible combinations with the three RAM sticks in the two slots: the second slot does not recognize ANY of those. The first slot on the other hand recognizes the Transcend stick and the old Corsair stick (the 4gb one) but it does not recognize the new Corsair stick!
When I say not recognized I mean that even the BIOS do not recognize it. Does anybody have any idea of what is going on here? I have cheked for bad pins but everything seems to be fine.

Solution
Thank you very much. I tried what you said: now when i start the PC with the 8gb module in the 1st socket and the 4gb module in the 2nd socket it makes the boot beep (it didn't do this before) but the screen won't start now (still this is progress).
BTW i was not aware if the dangers of using different ram modules. Now I am, thanks
The issue is that there are many memory module companies and only three DRAM chips manufacturers (Micron, Samsung, and Hynix) .
A memory company might sell the same RAM module with chips from different DRAM chips manufacturers. Even though they have the same speed the internal timing might differ. Sometimes they might play nicely with one another and some other times they just refuse to work.
You could try resetting the motherboard by removing the CMOS battery.
Power off PC, turn PSU switch to off and unplug power cord.
Press the power button for 15-20 seconds (discharge capacitors).
Place the the 4GB and 8GB modules on the motherboard.
Remove the CMOS battery...wait 5 minutes and insert the battery back.
Plug power cord, turn PSU switch to on and power computer.
It could take a bit longer to boot, since the motherboard BIOS might be trying to find the best configuration for the RAM modules.

By the way, you should not mix different RAM modules. You have a 50-50 chance.
It is recommended that modules with identical specifications from a kit are used when running in dual-channel mode.
It is hard to predict the outcome when you mix and match modules that were not tested to work together. RAM modules might not be able to run at full speed or a motherboard might even stop working all together. They could work or stop working at one point in time.
Even though they might look "exact same" modules, there is no guarantee that they will work together. The RAM that goes into a kit (package) has been tested to work together. There are times that different modules, even if they look similar, they could have different IC chips brands.
Manufacturers don’t guarantee mixing or adding one module to another, even when they are the "exact same" model.

Reactions: alepopoulo110

alepopoulo110

Commendable
Jan 22, 2021
You could try resetting the motherboard by removing the CMOS battery.
Power off PC, turn PSU switch to off and unplug power cord.
Press the power button for 15-20 seconds (discharge capacitors).
Place the the 4GB and 8GB modules on the motherboard.
Remove the CMOS battery...wait 5 minutes and insert the battery back.
Plug power cord, turn PSU switch to on and power computer.
It could take a bit longer to boot, since the motherboard BIOS might be trying to find the best configuration for the RAM modules.

By the way, you should not mix different RAM modules. You have a 50-50 chance.
It is recommended that modules with identical specifications from a kit are used when running in dual-channel mode.
It is hard to predict the outcome when you mix and match modules that were not tested to work together. RAM modules might not be able to run at full speed or a motherboard might even stop working all together. They could work or stop working at one point in time.
Even though they might look "exact same" modules, there is no guarantee that they will work together. The RAM that goes into a kit (package) has been tested to work together. There are times that different modules, even if they look similar, they could have different IC chips brands.
Manufacturers don’t guarantee mixing or adding one module to another, even when they are the "exact same" model.

Thank you very much. I tried what you said: now when i start the PC with the 8gb module in the 1st socket and the 4gb module in the 2nd socket it makes the boot beep (it didn't do this before) but the screen won't start now (still this is progress).
BTW i was not aware if the dangers of using different ram modules. Now I am, thanks

The issue is that there are many memory module companies and only three DRAM chips manufacturers (Micron, Samsung, and Hynix) .
A memory company might sell the same RAM module with chips from different DRAM chips manufacturers. Even though they have the same speed the internal timing might differ. Sometimes they might play nicely with one another and some other times they just refuse to work.

Last edited:
Solution

alepopoulo110

Commendable
Jan 22, 2021
A memory company might sell the same RAM module with chips from different DRAM chips manufacturer. Even though they have the same speed the internal timing might differ. Sometimes they might play nicely with one another and some other times they just refuse to work.

For example, I now reseated the memory modules and the screen went back up. The new 8gb module is now recognized on the 1st slot and the old 4gb module (on the 2nd slot) is not recognized. I believe that another resetting of the CMOS battery will make the 2nd memory slot working, but the 8gb module cannot co-operate with the other ones. Damn, I wish I knew this before buying a RAM stick. Thank you very much, anyway!