[SOLVED] second router as access point decrease of speed

May 23, 2018
Hi,
I have a main router (Huawei EchoLife HG8245) downstairs connected with cable to my PC
However due to weak wireless connection upstairs I wanted to extend the range with second router (DLink dir 605L)
I extended the range successfully by connecting main router to second router and second router to PC (cable)
Everything worked fine besides the fact that speed on my PC decreased about 25% (checked few times)

I wonder if I connected second router correctly, I chose dynamic IP mode with changing it later as access point in settings, https://prnt.sc/neyjch
but maybe I should have chose static IP mode by changing IP from [192.168.100.1] to [192.168.100.2] but I do not know what to type in gateway address and primary DNS server (https://prnt.sc/neyjew )

or maybe decrease of speed is something normal in this case

Solution
Your 25% decrease could be because the DIR605L has only 100Mbit ethernet ports. If you had greater than 90Mbit with your connection to the HG8245, it is because it has gigabit ethernet ports but the DIR605L doesn't.
Hi,
I have a main router (Huawei EchoLife HG8245) downstairs connected with cable to my PC
However due to weak wireless connection upstairs I wanted to extend the range with second router (DLink dir 605L)
I extended the range successfully by connecting main router to second router and second router to PC (cable)
Everything worked fine besides the fact that speed on my PC decreased about 25% (checked few times)

I wonder if I connected second router correctly, I chose dynamic IP mode with changing it later as access point in settings, https://prnt.sc/neyjch
but maybe I should have chose static IP mode by changing IP from [192.168.100.1] to [192.168.100.2] but I do not know what to type in gateway address and primary DNS server (https://prnt.sc/neyjew )

or maybe decrease of speed is something normal in this case

If you are using your second router in bridge mode then yes that sounds about right. Remember you are taking packets and reformatting them which makes for overhead. Plus your wireless might not be running at full speed due to distance.

Btw: The peoples republic of china wishes to thank you for allowing them to spy on you. (Sorry couldnt resist given the recent news of cia disclosures of huawei and Chinese govt officials.)

Last edited:
Reactions: hubiiik
May 23, 2018
May 23, 2018
If you are using your second router in bridge mode then yes that sounds about right. Remember you are taking packets and reformatting them which makes for overhead. Plus your wireless might not be running at full speed due to distance.

Btw: The peoples republic of china wishes to thank you for allowing them to spy on you. (Sorry couldnt resist given the recent news of cia disclosures of huawei and Chinese govt officials.)

Don't you think what kanewolf suggested makes sense?

I know huawei is shady but so is f.e. cisco
I did not choose main router, I got it from my provider
btw out of curiosity, lets assume the case that router has sth built in and user uses VPN, I guess I does not really help, right?

That switch will do what you want and you can plug the pc and AP into that an you will not suffer the loss in speed due to the 100mbits/ports.

I saw this post yesterday and was going to post similar to what kanewolf did but when I looked you router up it said it had fast ethernet ports ie 10/100. So I didn't post it but if you can actually get 125mbps plugged directly into the router then it has gigabit ports and I was looking at the wrong documentation.

Reactions: hubiiik
Don't you think what kanewolf suggested makes sense?

I know huawei is shady but so is f.e. cisco
I did not choose main router, I got it from my provider
btw out of curiosity, lets assume the case that router has sth built in and user uses VPN, I guess I does not really help, right?

I agree with Kanewolf. Combined with the other factors listed, it would be no wonder you lost 25%

Well that's up to you and what you are comfortable with. But if your ISP is supplying the router, and you were paying an equipment rental fee, I would replace it. You'll save money in the long run and worry less about people poking around in your stuff.