[SOLVED] Secondary Disk HDD suddenly slow and unresponsive when extracting big file in it.

Krosszx

Reputable
Jul 10, 2019
My Specification :
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
System Type x64-based PC
System Manufacturer Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz, 2904 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
BaseBoard Product B365M PRO-VDH(MS-7C39)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16,0 GB
GPU RX 5700 MSI MECH
SSD Transcend's PCIe SSD 220S
HDD 1 WDC 1TB SATA 3 64MB
HDD 2 SEAGATE Barracuda 2TB
PSU CX 550M Corsair
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey guys, hope you're having a good day.
and im sorry im not a native english speaker, so please bear with me.

anyways on to the topic, i just realised that my second HDD (Barracuda) have been acting weird lately, everytime i extract file in it, scan it, or defragmented it it randomly slows down or became unresponsive.
i checked the disk usage when it's used for extracting big file, it worked the first time with read and write activity fluctuate betweens 30-60MB/S and it will goes to 0 after a while while maintaining 100% disk usage and it goes back like 1-20MB/S after about 10 min and back to 0.
here's a screenshot : http://i.imgur.com/XFhHaL4.png

and i also i ran a crystaldiskinfo and S.M.A.R.T but it still shows its in a good condition
the screenshot :
  1. http://i.imgur.com/JGAETzY.png
  2. http://i.imgur.com/yEt6YuG.png
other things i already have tried are
  1. disable superfetch
  2. disable index
  3. ran a malware scan
  4. swapping sata cable
  5. defragmenting the disk is no use since it will take ages to finish defragmenting
and i prob already tried every other method that i searched on google with no avail.

Is this a sign that my HDD are dying?
oh one thing i notices that my chassis starts to give me a little shock when i used the disk. is the PSU a part of the problem?

Thank you in advance,

Solution
PSU CX 550M Corsair
one thing i notices that my chassis starts to give me a little shock when i used the disk. is the PSU a part of the problem?

Thank you in advance,

You should absolutely not get a shock from the PC case.

It seems like the drive is powering down then powering back up again, possibly because of this static build up.

I think maybe there is some damage to the PSU or some internal cabling is loose or damaged.

Is the Power Supply fully grounded? You need an earth wire to be connected to the PSU.

Failing that you can attach a wire from the chassis to a copper pipe or something.

Once your case and PSU is properly grounded you should find the...

Ralston18

Titan
Your English is fine.

This is key:

"one thing i notices that my chassis starts to give me a little shock when i used the disk. "

That should not be happening.

Power down, unplug, open the case. If you are not comfortable doing so then find a knowledgeable family member or friend to help.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Inspect for any physical signs of damage, pinched or kinked wires, bare conductor showing, components that are brown, blackened, swollen. Especially power and data cables for the HDD's and the Barracuda in particular.

Disconnect the HDD's to determine if one or the other is the source of the little shocks. That must be very carefully done. Ideally a multi-meter should be used to determine the source of the shock.

Start with the Barracuda drive.

Hopefully the problem is simply a loose or damaged cable. However, look for signs of damage, touching wires, loose mounting, etc..

Reactions: Krosszx

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
What i see from images you attached, you have 2 warnings:

UDMA CRC Error Rate
means that the data SATA interface sent, and HDD controller received don't match
typically this happens with bad cables, connectors or when there's a significant electromagnetic interference in the very close proximity to the cable

SATA Downshift Error Count
Indicates how often it was required to decrease the SATA transmission speed (from 6 Gbps to 3 or 1.5 Gbps, or from 3 Gbps to 1.5 Gbps) in order to transfer data successfully. If the attribute value is decreasing, try replacing the SATA cable.

Both are related to each other. Data is getting repeadly corrupted in transfer to from SATA interface to HDD controller. When that happes several times, SATA interface automatically switches the lower transfer rate, the process gets repeated until sufficient data integrity is estabilished.

The good news is, it's is extremely unlikely there's anything mechanically wrong with the drive. I'm quite aware you've tried swapping a cable, but ocassionally there a problem with SATA controller itself, try connecting the drive to different sata port on the motherboard. If that doesn't help grab a completely new sata cable , flat type, not the pretty round ones. Now there's a very slim chance something in the case has turned into a little pocket jammer. It is very unlikely as with interference that strong, other SATA devices would have been affected. But if you wish to entertain that thought you can test that by wrapping the sata cable insulation in alu foil, be super careful, it's conductive and you wouldn't want to accidentially short against anything in the case. If that doesn't help, the most likely culpit would be malfuctioning controller on the drive itself.

And as always it doesn't hurt to run manufacturer's diagnostic tools

Last edited:
Reactions: Krosszx

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
PSU CX 550M Corsair
one thing i notices that my chassis starts to give me a little shock when i used the disk. is the PSU a part of the problem?

Thank you in advance,

It seems like the drive is powering down then powering back up again, possibly because of this static build up.

I think maybe there is some damage to the PSU or some internal cabling is loose or damaged.

Is the Power Supply fully grounded? You need an earth wire to be connected to the PSU.

Failing that you can attach a wire from the chassis to a copper pipe or something.

Once your case and PSU is properly grounded you should find the HDD issues go away.

Solution

Krosszx

Reputable
Jul 10, 2019

Once your case and PSU is properly grounded you should find the HDD issues go away.

i did grounded the casing with copper wire nailed to the ground but i doubt i did a proper grounding.
let me rewire it and get back to you

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021

that thought hasn't even crossed my mind, i would not have thought there are still installations around, where groundpin in wall socket is just for show.
my first thoughts with static build up tend to go in a direction of dry air conditions.

Last edited:

Krosszx

Reputable
Jul 10, 2019
sorry for the long reply, unexpected things happen and i got to finally diagnose the problem just now.
so it seems like the HDD just broke even though its barely fine weeks ago(some file are corrupted), idk what causes it but it looks like the power to the PSU might be the problem.

Last edited: