[SOLVED] Secondary hard drive spinning fast

Jan 9, 2022
I recently installed a ssd and installed windows 10 on it and kept my hard drive as secondary storage but since then my hard drive seems to be operating at 100% it is spinning fast all the time it sometimes revs down but most of the time it is spinning fast is there any way to stop this as it is really very loud.

Solution
I recently installed a ssd and installed windows 10 on it and kept my hard drive as secondary storage but since then my hard drive seems to be operating at 100% it is spinning fast all the time it sometimes revs down but most of the time it is spinning fast is there any way to stop this as it is really very loud.
HDDs always spin "fast" , there's no slow or something in between. It either spins or stops. In windows, Control panel, power options it could be set ti shut down after some determined time it gas not been used. As soon as OS access it it will spin up. That's probably sound you hear.
Now for important question, when you installed Windows on SSD, did you disconnect old HDD ? If not, it's possible windows...
HDDs always spin "fast" , there's no slow or something in between. It either spins or stops. In windows, Control panel, power options it could be set ti shut down after some determined time it gas not been used. As soon as OS access it it will spin up. That's probably sound you hear.
Now for important question, when you installed Windows on SSD, did you disconnect old HDD ? If not, it's possible windows installed partly in HDD and now it has to run all the time.
Can you show a picture of your Disk Management ?

Reactions: SD12
Solution
Jan 9, 2022
Now for important question, when you installed Windows on SSD, did you disconnect old HDD ? If not, it's possible windows installed partly in HDD and now it has to run all the time.
Can you show a picture of your Disk Management ?
hey, I know that it keeps spinning but now it keeps spinning like it is at 100% usage. it used to sound like this when it had windows loaded onto it plus other stuff

kanewolf

Titan
hey, I know that it keeps spinning but now it keeps spinning like it is at 100% usage. it used to sound like this when it had windows loaded onto it plus other stuff
Usage and "spinning" are very different things. You will have to start with task manager and performance monitor to try to determine what software is accessing the disk.
Have you done thorough virus / malware scans ?

Reactions: CountMike
Jan 9, 2022
Usage and "spinning" are very different things. You will have to start with task manager and performance monitor to try to determine what software is accessing the disk.
Have you done thorough virus / malware scans ?
tried running malwarebytes but no success. i cannot understand why is it spinning so fast like it is about to take off i have never experienced this before is there any software where i can monitor my hard drive