[SOLVED] Secondary SATA hdd drive prevents OS starting

Nov 4, 2019
System - Win 10 64 bit on SSD
Secondary 6TB WD Black SATA drive was working well for a month in this system, connected internally.
On one computer restart I noticed a checking of the secondary drive on 75% , went till 76% and was hanging on.
Waited for 10 min without any movement.
I shut downed pc by pressing power button for 5sec .
I tried to start computer but it was hanging on on the boot stage.
When Secondary 6TB drive was disconnected , OS started without any problem.
What can be a problem with this drive 6TB ?

Solution
A bad drive, when connected, can definitely massively slow or even lock a rig up when connected even if not directly involved in the boot process, as the drive's presence is detected on bootup, and during this process Windows tries to communicate with all extra drives for file indexing, inventory, and populating file explorer purposes.

(I just a few days ago had a bad spinning laptop drive, when connected for testing, lengthen my NVME-equipped system's boot time from sub -10 seconds to about 3 minutes...; your drive is probably done for)
Nov 4, 2019
It happened in my office computer.
I took it home and tried it at home computer with the same result.
On another side I saw that this drive was recognised in boot menu.
I touched the drive and founded that the drive motor was rotating.
I tried it also with bootable USB drive named strelec , with the same result, hanging on booting.

A bad drive, when connected, can definitely massively slow or even lock a rig up when connected even if not directly involved in the boot process, as the drive's presence is detected on bootup, and during this process Windows tries to communicate with all extra drives for file indexing, inventory, and populating file explorer purposes.

(I just a few days ago had a bad spinning laptop drive, when connected for testing, lengthen my NVME-equipped system's boot time from sub -10 seconds to about 3 minutes...; your drive is probably done for)

Reactions: SergeAVI
Solution