[SOLVED] Secondary SSD installation

rinden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2015
Would like to confirm if the motherboard I am getting supports PCIe and SATA as I been noticing that majority of the latest motherboard M.2 slot supports both PCIe and SATA

I am getting MSI B450 Tomhawk Max motherboard. It has 1 M.2 Slot does it means I can place M.2 Samsung SSD 850 EVO SATA on it?
What if i would like to add a secondary SSD presumably another M.2 Samsung SSD EVO 860 SATA , where can i add it? As the motherboard has only 1 M.2 Slot or it is impossible and I have to get a different SSD which form factor isn't M.2. E.G : 2.5" Samsung 860 pro and add it through the SATA ports
Because I would like to install a secondary SSD and I got another M.2 SSD

Thanks in advanced for your help!

rinden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2015
Why the need for another NVMe drive?
What do you use the system for?

If the motherboard has only one M.2 port, you'd have to use a PCIe adapter.
But, depending on what you use this system for...you may not see any expected speed difference.

1 of the M.2 SSD is 256gb and would solely be for booting up windows
and I would like to have another SSD to store my miscellaneous stuffs such as games. As I do not have a HDD anymore, I am not sure if the spare M2 SATA SSD can be connected to my motherboard via SATA cable like a HDD would.

Thus would like to know if i have another M2 SSD, how would I set it up given as the motherboard (MSI B450 Tomahawk Max) has only 1 M.2 slot which is used up for the 256gb SSD for booting up. Or I got to get a different SSD which form factor isnt M.2 but a 2.5" SATA SSD instead

rinden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2015
You don't want an "M.2" drive.
A regular 2.5" format SATA III SSD is what you're looking for. Connects exactly as an HDD would.

Ah damn, alright because I have an extra form factor M2 500GB SATA SSD , so I guess I can't get it to use it as the motherboard only has 1 M2 slot which is being used up at the moment. So I would probably need to buy a normal 2.5" sata SSD?

Wondering if I can use the spare M2 SATA SSD and connect exactly as an HDD would so I wouldn't have to go and purchase that respective ssd type which you recommended.

rinden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2015