Question Secure boot with change of harddrive?

Sep 1, 2019
OK, so, I have a bit of a tricky situation here. I have a computer that I do not have the (bios) supervisor password to. It boots completely fine, unfortunately it’s lockef to secure boot, and I can’t change that.

Now, I should like to install another hard drive, and/or clone another operating system from another computer. As far as I understand that can or cannot trigger secure boot to come up with an error. I suppose that in this case I would have to enter the supervisor password for the machine, which I don’t have.

I guess my question is, do I risk anything by swapping the hard drive, can I always swap the old drive back, or will I be screwed if I happened to trigger the ‘tripwire’ of secureboot?

Any input appreciated

(The machine is legit to the best of my knowledge btw)

There is no way to reset the password, have looked into that.

Sep 1, 2019
I’m not sure I made myself clear. The bios password is the supervisor password. It only needs to be entered if you want to change certain things in the bios (amongst those disabling secure boot). The machine boots fine without it. It has changed hands several times, so the guy who originally set the password is not the one who sold it to me. The second buyer didn’t have any need to access the bios, so he never knew it was set.

TRENDING THREADS