[SOLVED] Seek Error Rate Warning - - - Is it time to RMA my Toshiba HDD ? .

Landstander

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
I'm running a Toshiba 8TB X300 HDD (HDWR180XZSTA) that is 11 months old (with a 2 year warranty).

Yesterday I received a warning under Windows of a SMART warning for the "Seek Error Rate" and that 'Drive Failure is Imminent' with an offer to back up my drive NOW.

CrystalDiskInfo confirmed the warning, so I swapped the drive cable just to be safe. After rebooting CrystalDiskInfo isn't showing a warning any more, but does show Current=100, Worst=42, Threshold=50 and Raw Values=0.

WD Data LifeGuard continues to show Fail with a big red X for the SMART status. A quick test fails to start, and an Extended test is currently 3-1/2 hours in with 7 to go.

Should I RMA this thing? Weirdly, Toshiba shows that RMA's don't result in a drive swap but a Visa Gift Card (https://myapps.taec.toshiba.com/postSales/toshiba_welcome_page.jsp). Has anyone dealt with them before? I've never seen a manufacturer do that. It kind of sucks since supply chain/hardware pricing/etc.

If it's true, I'd order a replacement drive tonight instead of waiting for Monday.

Yes, I've managed to stuff all my data onto other drives (which are now groaning at the seams), but I'm open to suggestions on this.

Edit: 13 hour test successful. Quick test still results in: "Quick Test on drive 2 did not complete! Status code = 04 (Unknown failed test element), Failure Checkpoint = 06 (Unknown Test)
SMART self-test did not complete on drive 2"

Last edited:

Landstander

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
Yeah, I'm sick of waiting for drives to fail. I'm considering getting a NAS when I order my new HDD.

Now I'm trying to figure what to replace the Toshiba with. I didn't expect it wouldn't be an exchange.

The same drive is up $50-60. There is a HDWR480XZSTA. I would have assumed it was a newer (better?) model but the price is lower (about what I paid for my original drive). I'm confused and still a bit hesitant to go back to Toshiba after this.

Edit: I was just checking on Amazon what makes the 480 different and found a reviewer saying don't buy the 180 because he had a couple with Seek Error Rate issues. Looks like a bad batch(?)

Edit 2: RMA started. Better safe than sorry. WD Black will cost me $25 more and a 2 week wait, but I've never been unhappy with WD (outside of 1 quirky Blue).

Last edited: