Senate Votes 50-48 To Allow ISPs To Sell Your Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

Stupid people voted these people into office, because they were told the party of corporate power and no consumer rights cares about the little guy. They were easily duped, now we all suffer for their poor critical-thinking skills.

This is great news for VPN providers, great news for corporations that want to exploit Internet users, and terrible news for the rest of us.

TomSummer

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017
I guess the crowd of 3 people that don't use either facebook or google are really upset.

But this no big deal... and you can just use a VPN.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
It's not like they will be pulling specific pc data. They will just be looking at the meta data and selling it so companies know which direction to go. If there is an increasing interest in pot holders, companies will want to know before there is a supply shortage.

TomSummer

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017

I'm so glad google and facebook didn't start selling information until Trump was in office.

@Tomsummer: Not a very accurate comparison.

The internet is fundamentally important and in many cases has been called a human right. One can easily abstain from Google and Facebook. Abstaining from connecting to the internet at all, however, is a tall order.

There is no equitability in negotiation here, if the ISPs sell this data (as they all will inevitably do) you have no option to pick an ISP that doesn't do it. You have to go without, and at that point, we hit on the first thing I mentioned.

USAFRet

Titan

We do.
Every couple of years.

Interestingly, reelection rates for US congress hover around 90%.
What's wrong with this picture?

toadhammer

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012

Here, let me fix that for you: "You can just pay money to regain part of your privacy."

Don't forget these same ISPs (Verizon!) are cutting services. Once upon a time, paying Verizon to be your ISP also bought you access to news groups, FTP hosting, email hosting, mailbox aliases, all sorts of things. Their fees go up, *and* you also have to pay someone else for the lost services.

TomSummer

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017

People that think that the internet is a right don't understand what rights are. The problem with spoiled citizens of the first world variety, is that they often lack perspective to correctly use terms like "rights" in a sentence.

Google, facebook, TV, cars and the internet services are modern conveniences... They are not rights!

TomSummer

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017

Whine all you wish, but I like to pay ala carte for everything. I don't need FTP/mailbox aliases/newsgroups...

As a matter of fact my connectivity costs have come down now that all those commie bundles are disappearing.

Sasha-knows

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017
Unbelievable! I guess I'll play their game. Fake phone number, fake email, fake everything. Maybe trying to verify what's real will create more jobs. My Internet access isn't free. How can they do whatever they want with my information and charge me to give it to them?!!!! LOL! #gooffthegrid! PS: Someone said, if you voted for Trump, you deserve what you get!

WRXSTIGuy

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
They are just voting along party lines. I doubt many of them even read the details on what they were voting for. They are getting paid for free.

G

Mmm, @Roger Wilco? You *are* voting for Federal offices every 2 years, right? Senators come up for election every 6 years, every state has 2, so in 3 election cycles, you'll get a chance to vote for each of the ones you've got or somebody else. If you're over 24, you must have had a chance to vote on each of yours, unless the the old one died and a temporary was appointed to fill the term.

wtj

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Stupid politicians? You betcha!
Lucian Armasu's editor/publisher is just as stupid and complicit.
The links requesting us to contact our representatives give us our senator's phone numbers.
THE SENATE ALREADY VOTED as per the TITLE OF THIS ARTICLE!
If Tom's hardware wanted to do more than COLLECT OUR EMAIL ADDYS AND STREET ADDYS,
the links would have our Congress members phone numbers!!!!

Giroro

Splendid
@TOMSUMMER

Last I checked, Americans have the fundamental right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
Aside from the obvious fact that violating privacy violates liberty let's focus on life.
To live you need food water and shelter. This means you need money. Therefore you have a fundamental right to have a job, if you choose.

How does one get a job? They apply online, get called into an interview on the phone, and then they go in for a interview.

Therefore it follows that if you have the right to live, you have the right to access the tools that are necessarily to live - specifically communication and transportation.

Surely it wouldn't be acceptable if comcast used it's unlimited access to internet traffic to steal trade secrets from its competitors, or simply block them from the internet entirely? What if Verizon or AT&T decided to block citizens from calling their congressman to complain about it, or sold a list of the people complaining to a political party or foreign government?

toadhammer

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012

No, not human rights. Public utilities. Utilities range from those that should be rights to those that are merely convenient. Water and sewage are pretty necessary to your health and well being. Gas and electricity might be merely convenient, or necessity, depending on your climate. I personally find phones a burden partially imposed on me by others.

There have been times I've voluntarily lived without most of those. I'd hate to do so full time. It can be hard or impossible to hold job and feed a family when lacking some combination of these "first-world conveniences." The point of regulating public utilities is that they have the ability to hold you hostage, to coerce you in various ways, and they must not be allowed to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS