gtsolid

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2016
Hi, I'm following general recommendations for PC clients, but I'd like to have also some guidelines for the server side where I put my files, so a Server as File Storage. Clients don't work in local, they open the files from the server.

Now I have a WS2016 with a quite old hardware. We are 4 clients designing files that are quite big (around 200 MB the biggest assembly and related drawing. Thousands of parts and so on). We often use files such as the attached one. I have no idea about budget. Let's say 3÷5 000 €. I have a 1 Mbps LAN (5e cables), but now i can transfer upload and download at 90 Mbps, maybe the server is under load.
Average file

What would you suggest?

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, I'm following general recommendations for PC clients, but I'd like to have also some guidelines for the server side where I put my files, so a Server as File Storage. Clients don't work in local, they open the files from the server.

Now I have a WS2016 with a quite old hardware. We are 4 clients designing files that are quite big (around 200 MB the biggest assembly and related drawing. Thousands of parts and so on). We often use files such as the attached one. I have no idea about budget. Let's say 3÷5 000 €. I have a 1 Mbps LAN (5e cables), but now i can transfer upload and download at 90 Mbps, maybe the server is under load.
Average file

What would you suggest?
I would look at a rack mounted NAS from one of the major manufacturers. Get something with 10GE and spend some of your budget for a switch with 10GE ports to link the NAS.
From Synology that would be something like the RS1221+ or the RS822+ QNAP would be the TS-855 or TS-464
You didn't specify how much total storage space you required.
You ALSO need to think about your disaster recovery. You should have a copy of all your files off-site for flood/theft/fire protection. In addition to two copies on-site on separate hardware.

Reactions: helper800

gtsolid

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2016
Hi,
- 5 TB are enough
- I see in RS1221+ It has 1 Gbps port but as accessory it can mount E10G21-F2 (10 GbE). Is it what I need?
- How to configure it? I'm not proficient with Linux environment. Our clients now work in a WORKGROUP but I don't think it would be difficult to make a change. Our current server is only for file storage.
- Disaster recovery: we do the copy on external HDD every saturday.
- In addition to two copies on-site on separate hardware: I think NAS by default provides this feature, right?

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,
- 5 TB are enough
- I see in RS1221+ It has 1 Gbps port but as accessory it can mount E10G21-F2 (10 GbE). Is it what I need?
- How to configure it? I'm not proficient with Linux environment. Our clients now work in a WORKGROUP but I don't think it would be difficult to make a change. Our current server is only for file storage.
- In addition to two copies on-site on separate hardware: I think NAS by default provides this feature, right?
The reason I recommended the commercial NAS units is that you don't HAVE to know anything about the OS. You plug them in. You put some disks in. You plug in a network and turn them on. You point a browser to the unit and they just work.
5TB is not that much storage. I was expecting a much bigger number based on your budget.
You might consider a desktop NAS like the QNAP TS-H973 which has the 10GE as a default connection. Rack mount is more secure, so someone walking off with your data is less of an issue.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi,
- 5 TB are enough
Regarding the "configuration", the QNAP OS gives the option of each user having their own Home folder. Exclusive to their account.
And of course some shared space that everyone sees.

All easily mapped to a drive letter in Windows.

Backups are all easily automated, on whatever schedule you want. No manual copy every Saturday.
Optionally, up to a cloud resource.

All of that is built in to the OS.

Reactions: helper800

gtsolid

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2016
i think i need to change also the network card of the existing PC, what do you suggest in this case? to buy a dedicated card for each?

kanewolf

Titan
i think i need to change also the network card of the existing PC, what do you suggest in this case? to buy a dedicated card for each?
Without specific motherboard models, it is difficult to recommend. Changing the network card to say a 2.5Gb card, requires a more advanced network switch.
How many PCs are we talking about?

kanewolf

Titan
6 PCs, equipped with gaming MoBo around 150 € each
That sort-of helps. It doesn't tell me what slots are available, but I think we can assume a PCIe x1 3.0 slot is available.
2.5Gb adapters are available for $20 to $50 each.
I would suggest a switch something like this -- https://www.trendnet.com/products/1...-port-10g-web-smart-poeplus-switch-TEG-7124WS
With 6 PCs plus your new and old servers and an uplink to the internet you need a 12 - 16 port multi-gig switch.