Seting pictures as Desktop

meg

I used to be able to click on a picture that I uploaded from my digital
camera and set it as my desktop wallpaper. I am now unable to do that. Is
there a way to correct this? Thanks for any help.

=?Utf-8?B?TWVn?= <Meg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> I used to be able to click on a picture that I uploaded from my
> digital camera and set it as my desktop wallpaper. I am now unable
> to do that. Is there a way to correct this? Thanks for any help.

Check to see if active desktop is enabled
-max
--
Making Good Posts: http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Registered Linux User #393236

meg

How do I check to see if active desktop is enabled?

"Max Wachtel" wrote:

> =?Utf-8?B?TWVn?= <Meg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>
> > I used to be able to click on a picture that I uploaded from my
> > digital camera and set it as my desktop wallpaper. I am now unable
> > to do that. Is there a way to correct this? Thanks for any help.
> >

> Check to see if active desktop is enabled
> -max
> --
> Making Good Posts: http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> Virus Removal Instructions: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/
> Change nomail.afraid.org to yahoo.com to reply.
> Registered Linux User #393236

Meg,

How are you setting it as the wallpaper? (the steps)

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Meg" <Meg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I used to be able to click on a picture that I uploaded from my digital
> camera and set it as my desktop wallpaper. I am now unable to do that. Is
> there a way to correct this? Thanks for any help.

meg

I usually open the folder that contains the pictures, then click on the
picture and then click on "SEt as desktop wallpaper" on the lefthand side of
the window

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Meg,
>
> How are you setting it as the wallpaper? (the steps)
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Meg" <Meg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I used to be able to click on a picture that I uploaded from my digital
> > camera and set it as my desktop wallpaper. I am now unable to do that. Is
> > there a way to correct this? Thanks for any help.

Click Start-Run and type:

regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll
regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

See if the problem is resolved. If not, proceed further:

Is Active Desktop Wallpaper set? If so you can remove from the registry (for
stand-alone systems).

Create a System Restore point, or take a valid registry backup.

Open Regedit.exe and navigate to these locations one by one:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop

In the right-pane, delete the following values if they exist:

1. Wallpaper
2. WallpaperStyle

Close Regedit.exe and re-login.

--

>I usually open the folder that contains the pictures, then click on the
> picture and then click on "SEt as desktop wallpaper" on the lefthand side
> of
> the window
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Meg,
>>
>> How are you setting it as the wallpaper? (the steps)
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Meg" <Meg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I used to be able to click on a picture that I uploaded from my digital
>> > camera and set it as my desktop wallpaper. I am now unable to do that.
>> > Is
>> > there a way to correct this? Thanks for any help.

meg

Thank you so much. That seemed to solve the problem. Question: What was the
problem??? What would cause that to happen?

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Click Start-Run and type:
>
> regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll
> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
>
> See if the problem is resolved. If not, proceed further:
>
> Is Active Desktop Wallpaper set? If so you can remove from the registry (for
> stand-alone systems).
>
> Create a System Restore point, or take a valid registry backup.
>
> Open Regedit.exe and navigate to these locations one by one:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop
>
> In the right-pane, delete the following values if they exist:
>
> 1. Wallpaper
> 2. WallpaperStyle
>
> Close Regedit.exe and re-login.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Meg" <Meg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I usually open the folder that contains the pictures, then click on the
> > picture and then click on "SEt as desktop wallpaper" on the lefthand side
> > of
> > the window
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Meg,
> >>
> >> How are you setting it as the wallpaper? (the steps)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "Meg" <Meg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> What was the problem???

Which one helped?

--

> Thank you so much. That seemed to solve the problem. Question: What was
> the
> problem??? What would cause that to happen?
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Click Start-Run and type:
>>
>> regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll
>> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
>>
>> See if the problem is resolved. If not, proceed further:
>>
>> Is Active Desktop Wallpaper set? If so you can remove from the registry
>> (for
>> stand-alone systems).
>>
>> Create a System Restore point, or take a valid registry backup.
>>
>> Open Regedit.exe and navigate to these locations one by one:
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control
>> Panel\Desktop
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control
>> Panel\Desktop
>>
>> In the right-pane, delete the following values if they exist:
>>
>> 1. Wallpaper
>> 2. WallpaperStyle
>>
>> Close Regedit.exe and re-login.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Meg" <Meg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I usually open the folder that contains the pictures, then click on the
>> > picture and then click on "SEt as desktop wallpaper" on the lefthand
>> > side
>> > of
>> > the window

meg

the Start-Run, regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll & regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> >> What was the problem???
>
> Which one helped?
>

> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Meg" <Meg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you so much. That seemed to solve the problem. Question: What was
> > the
> > problem??? What would cause that to happen?
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Click Start-Run and type:
> >>
> >> regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll
> >> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
> >>
> >> See if the problem is resolved. If not, proceed further:
> >>
> >> Is Active Desktop Wallpaper set? If so you can remove from the registry
> >> (for
> >> stand-alone systems).
> >>
> >> Create a System Restore point, or take a valid registry backup.
> >>
> >> Open Regedit.exe and navigate to these locations one by one:
> >>
> >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control
> >> Panel\Desktop
> >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control
> >> Panel\Desktop
> >>
> >> In the right-pane, delete the following values if they exist:
> >>
> >> 1. Wallpaper
> >> 2. WallpaperStyle
> >>
> >> Close Regedit.exe and re-login.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "Meg" <Meg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Missing registration entries caused the problem (most likely the Active
Desktop related), and registering these DLLs fix the problem.

>> What would cause that to happen?

No idea how this is caused. May be a result of disabling WPFV by
unregistering shimgvw.dll?