Setting up 2nd Hard Drive with SSD

dafishanator

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
First I just want to thank everyone in advance for their help.

So basically I just bought a Samsung 830 128gb SSD. I backed up all my data from my 750gb Western Digital Hard drive, disconnected it and installed my SSD. I then put a fresh install of Windows 7 Home Premium on the SSD, and installed all my drivers. Now for the rest of my rig:

AMD FX4100 CPU
AMD HD Radeon 6870 GPU
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz RAM
SoundBlaster Sound Card
MSI 970A-G46 Motherboard http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1963472&CatId=7248&SRCCODE=MDOTTD&MobileOptOut=1

So how would I set up my old hard drive as a storage drive? I know it will obviously need to be formatted first, but then how would I set it up? I have no clue how to set up a raid setup, and also, what is the best way to format the disk? And one last question, how would I install a program to the storage drive?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Set the bios sata mode to AHCI if it is not already

Unplug the extra drive and install windows on the SSD.

Once everything is setup, then you can connect the other drive(and make sure the SSD is set as your boot drive in the bios as some tend to swap drives when you install the old drive back in) and use windows to format it(disk management).

Most programs let you install to another drive.

You can move a program from one drive to the other, but that is another story all together.

You will not need RAID for anything here.
Set the bios sata mode to AHCI if it is not already

Unplug the extra drive and install windows on the SSD.

Once everything is setup, then you can connect the other drive(and make sure the SSD is set as your boot drive in the bios as some tend to swap drives when you install the old drive back in) and use windows to format it(disk management).

Most programs let you install to another drive.

You can move a program from one drive to the other, but that is another story all together.

You will not need RAID for anything here.

Solution