[SOLVED] "Setting up" and using Speakers as Audio Monitors with Audio Interface

Reece Fuller

Commendable
Apr 2, 2020
I have an audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen), and on the back are 2 Line Outputs (Left and Right). Then on my speakers (Logitech Z506), it has 2 RCA Inputs (Stereo, Left and Right).

I was wondering if I could use my speakers as Stereo Audio Monitors by using cables like this one [Hybrid Dual RCA - Dual Jack Cable]. I have provided an image of what the setup would look like.

BRM48Hx.png

The main reason I am asking is if this setup would cause any issue/break anything, like maybe with voltages (I am not too clued up on electrical terminology). Also how legit Audio Monitors differ from my speakers, and how the Focusrite interacts with real audio monitors vs my speakers. Then if there are any alternatives (this was the best solution I could find) to what a setup like this would require, like maybe different cables. Lastly, if it would even work, as I wouldn't want to buy a cable and have it not work.

Thank you very much, your help will be very appreciated.

Solution
You're fine. Technically, what is required is that the output and input electrical characteristics match - particularly with respect to max peak-to-peak voltage and circuit impedance. But from the practical perspective of all of us, ALL of that is taken care of by the label "Line ...". The agreed standards for Line In and Line Out jacks ensure that the matching required is already done.

Audio Monitors comes from earlier in the professional audio business. They are speakers designed to be very good at accurate audio production over the full range of human hearing with no distortion of selected frequencies. This is a little different from "speakers" because the latter usually are powered by amplifers that incldue the ability to change...

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
That should be fine. Both are at line-level.

You'll just need to play around with the volume knobs on both the audio interface and the speakers. Typically, you keep one fixed at a certain level while you use the other one as the main volume. Personally, I'd put the volume on the Logitech fixed at around 75% (or just before it starts to hiss or generate its own noise) and adjust the audio interface's monitor volume to taste.

Reactions: Corwin65

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You're fine. Technically, what is required is that the output and input electrical characteristics match - particularly with respect to max peak-to-peak voltage and circuit impedance. But from the practical perspective of all of us, ALL of that is taken care of by the label "Line ...". The agreed standards for Line In and Line Out jacks ensure that the matching required is already done.

Audio Monitors comes from earlier in the professional audio business. They are speakers designed to be very good at accurate audio production over the full range of human hearing with no distortion of selected frequencies. This is a little different from "speakers" because the latter usually are powered by amplifers that incldue the ability to change the audio response curve according to the user's desires. In a professional studio all the equipment, including the amps powering the Monitors, are carefully built for "flat" audio response. That is, except certain specific units intended to create deliberate changes for custom effects on final recordings.

Solution