Seven Radeon R9 280X Graphics Cards, Rounded-Up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me, or the camera, or both... does the MSI's pcb look really warped in the gallery photo? The club one with the back plate looks warped too. Some of the cards look really straight, but the camera / photographer can be at fault too, to an extent.

They are going to be spot on with the HD7970 equivalents. The 280X Vapor-X is same spec as my HD7970 Vapor-X and the Toxic is the same as the HD7970 Toxic except it has 3GB while the Toxic HD7970 had 6GB VRAM.

That's weird. My Vapor-X doesn't get very loud under load when gaming. And what's strange is I never hit 80C under Bitcoin or Litecoin load on my HD7970 Vapor-X. The highest I hit was 75c during the summer when my A/C was dead.

Same clock speeds too 1050MHz.

I can attest to how quiet the Windforce cards are. I run two of them in crossfire. These cards seem to be completely immune to frame-stutter (although admittedly I am using the newest beta drivers that are supposed to fix this) and I get perfectly fluid frame rates in Tomb Raider 2013, Saints Row IV, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Hitman: Absolution and Sleeping Dogs. The fact that they're some of the least expensive out there doesn't hurt either. LOL

I can attest to how quiet the Windforce cards are. I run two of them in crossfire. These cards seem to be completely immune to frame-stutter (although admittedly I am using the newest beta drivers that are supposed to fix this) and I get perfectly fluid frame rates in Tomb Raider 2013, Saints Row IV, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Hitman: Absolution and Sleeping Dogs. The fact that they're some of the least expensive out there doesn't hurt either. LOL

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
same die as the 7970Ghz, again pointless review. The best AMD could of done with the 280x was raise the factory clock of the 280x but they didn't do poo. I wanta see someone flash there 7970 with a 280x bios and give us resolts. 100 bucks it works without a problem. GPUz would see it and games would run flawless.

You know what, im going to flash 1 of my GTX680s with a GTX770 tonight when I get off work and see whats the dilly. I can always flash back and im sick of MSI afterburner bugging out NV Experience from launching.

logainofhades

Titan
Don't really see the point of this so called roundup without some benches. Granted I am not in the market for a new card as I have a 7970 on its way soon, but it would be nice for other to see at least a small performance selection.

fat_panda

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
More people should be buying HIS. They always do such a great job keeping the GPU very cool, while minimizing the fan noise. I wish they would go away from the blue pcb though.

tuklap

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Me too I'll be waiting. i think, if R9 280x has the new Powertune 2.0, Toxic version will dominate this race regardless of its power consumption because its an OC version

G

I love these single gpu variant round ups.
Truly amazingly nice and I don't have to have 7 seperate tabs to compare.
Please continue these, Eventhough you already did with other GPUs it would be nice if you continue this for the 290X and 780TI? And other more popular GPUS?

:lol:
Some time ago that was. More recently they come voltage locked, so those massive triple fan cooling is USELESS.

Same, Sapphire has been consistent it what I have wanted from my AMD cards at a very decent price, so I have sticked to them for some time.

diagrafeas

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Just got my Gigabyte 280X today.
With room temperature of 24 degrees Celsius the card at idle is 36-37 degrees Celsius.
What is your room temperature?
BIOS version 015.038.000.003.003435

masmotors

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
im a sucker for msi twin forzr and his ice q turbo i wish o waited till now to get the card but i got a 7950 a few months ago but im happy bf4 is running on high specs

Status
Not open for further replies.