Seven Radeon R9 280X Graphics Cards, Rounded-Up

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

You missed the part where the MSI TF Gaming throttled?
:ouch:

Alexfitz

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
Wow surprised the Windforce preformed so badly in the noise test. 3x on GTX models have been excellent in my opinion.

senkyen

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

Very loud is probably pretty subjective. I have been using only notebooks for the last couple of years, so probably everything would sound loud to me and also my case (Corsair Carbide 300r) doesn't help in any way to reduce the noise (it has more holes then Swiss cheese). The temperatures are very good though, during gaming it doesn't go over 65°C.

Omega3

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
I owned and played with Gigabyte 280x and it has 3 fans, cool and quiet.
Nice card and length is just right.
Sapphire is too long 30cm.

I3lood Eagle

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
Honestly the R9 series are noisy but who cares in the end if your getting better performance the 290x at 100% sounds like an F22 taking off, but ehhhh you can play metro at 60+ frames on ultra and that's all it really comes down to in my opinion.

Good thing you added that last bit. I agree with you opinion as an enthusiast, we can easily change out the cooling solution.
:D

I3lood Eagle

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013

I don't really mind the noise because I usually have my 7.1 pumped up blowing me away or headphones I will admit that it's nice to have a quiet card but it's not the end of the world if I hear screaming eagles coming form my case lol...

Honestly, I couldn't care less what a card looks like. I don't see the thing inside my rig when it's running. My Gigabytes are actually rather plain looking (except of course for the three fans) but I don't care as long as they work.

I3lood Eagle

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013

To each his own really, I could understand blinging them out if you're A hardcore LAN guy, or if you're an OCer that takes your rig to shows and stuff... I'm not all that worried about how a card looks either but from what I've seen the last couple of generations the cooler a card looks the better it usually performs because I like the look of after market coolers it just makes your card look like masculine, I mean a standards R9 290 looks like a Grecian warrior... pop an Arctic Accelero on that bad boy and you got Leonidas in your case proclaiming his Spartan origin... You didn't see that metaphor coming!

SessouXFX

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
No XFX? That's one sexy looking card they came up with and rivals the EVGA;s 780 SC/ACX in looks easily. Can't wait to see their R9 290X and how it performs...

I never had a problem with XFX, but I also noticed there's hardly any mention of them here, what gives?

XFX the last gen of HD79xx cards were REALLY bad, overheating problems, low quality VRMs. Lets hope this gen is better.

:D you again. Same here as said before.

XFX card have consistently lower OC results on the HD79xx cards, check out the averages. THis even applies to the DD "black editions".

I remember reading a review where voltages were monitored. It was all over the place on XFX cards.

SessouXFX

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

I read some comments about the overheating, but at the time, I wasn't in the market for a GPU, having a couple of their 6870. Was there a change in their manufacturing or something?

Yeah must have been. The difference between HD7xxx and HD6xxx is like night and day.

3ogdy

Distinguished
Sapphire screwed up with that Toxic OC card. It has slower clocks than the DirectCUII OC from ASUS, less memory bandwidth than the ASUS card and despite all that IT IS NOISIER AND RUNS HOTTER. WTF?

You mean lower memory clock? Because it sure as hell has the same bandwidth.

3ogdy

Distinguished

I'm sorry, I was referring to the VaporX card.
It has a 1550MHz Mem Clock(vs 1600MHz on the ASUS), 297.6GB /s Mem Bandwidth.(vs 307.2GB/s on the ASUS).
Moreover: Idle temps & Full Load
ASUS : 32ºC & 75ºC
S V-X : 32ºC & 80ºC

Noise - Idle - Moderate Load - Full Load
ASUS 30.4dB - 36.8dB - 40.8dB
S V-X 32.7dB - 46.1dB - 56.8dB

I3lood Eagle

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013

Rocket ships are always noisy when they're taking off from earth's atmosphere...

Status
Not open for further replies.