[SOLVED] Severe packet loss only on Fortnite servers..

DirtySZN

Commendable
May 6, 2020
So I’ve had severe packet loss issues on Fortnite for 6 months now. I play on PS4 Pro, and I’m connected via CAT-6 Ethernet from my Arris modem to the PS4(modem connected to outlet in wall via coaxial cable). My plan I pay for is “Extreme Pro Internet” - 600mbps download/15mbps upload speed.

When I’m playing I get anywhere from 1%-50% packet loss on the upload side(up arrow) and the spikes happen at least a few times per minute making it basically unplayable... I’ve tried reaching out to my ISP, Xfinity/Comcast, and they are pretty useless stating that everything should be running correctly every time I talk to someone from support.

To explain further, this is my exact setup going on throughout my whole house -

I have a Xfinity gateway in one room(not my room where my PS4 is; this room is for my mother’s work station). Then I have my ARRIS SB6190 modem in my bedroom(where my PS4 is located), and there’s the CAT-6 Ethernet going from the modem to PS4 hardwired. So yes there are technically 2 different “setups” on my one network, but Xfinity is fully aware of this and is okay with it.

The only thing I am wondering is if I am getting double NAT? But I’m not getting any notification saying that I am on my PS4 and my network looks like it’s not based off my IP address numbers.
So what could be the problem here? I’ve been trying to figure this out for so long now and I just want to play the game!

Also, I get the same issue when I’m connected to the Xfinity gateway, it not worse than usual due to it being Wi-Fi since it’s in a different room like I said.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
It is surprising they allow 2 modems in the same house on he same account....unless there is a extra charge someplace. Normally the tell people no that ask if they can have this.

You do not even have a single NAT if you plug a device directly into a modem. You should have a public IP being directly assigned to you. You can check and see what IP you get. This is not the best idea because a router will protect you against attack but a game console is pretty dumb so they are hard to attack.

Check the power levels on the modem status screen. You need to look up the recommended values because they are slightly different based on the exact docsis encoding being used. My guess would be your upload power numbers are too high...
It is surprising they allow 2 modems in the same house on he same account....unless there is a extra charge someplace. Normally the tell people no that ask if they can have this.

You do not even have a single NAT if you plug a device directly into a modem. You should have a public IP being directly assigned to you. You can check and see what IP you get. This is not the best idea because a router will protect you against attack but a game console is pretty dumb so they are hard to attack.

Check the power levels on the modem status screen. You need to look up the recommended values because they are slightly different based on the exact docsis encoding being used. My guess would be your upload power numbers are too high which means the cable company is having trouble hearing your modem. You can also see if there are any messages in the log. You will always see some small number of error but if you see a lot especial a lot in a small time frame it would be a issue.

You need to leave a constant ping run to some IP like 8.8.8.8. Not sure what abilities a game console has. If you have actual network loss it will show up here also.

Solution