Shadowing in a Domain Environment..

Looking over the following articles:

http://ask.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=126314&cid=10574052
and
http://snipurl.com/b7v0

The implications are that in a Domain environment, with the correct registry
settings on the domain computers:

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server
Value Name: AllowRemoteRPC
Value Type: DWORD Value
Value Data: 1

One could initiate a shadow session with a domain member without permission
from the logged on user. This is accomplished (correct me if I am wrong) by
the following steps:

1. From a Windows XP/2003 computer in the domain, use remote desktop to
connect to any other Windows XP/2003 computer in the domain.

2. From the remote desktop, issue this command:
shadow 0 /server:COMPUTERNAME
(Where COMPUTERNAME is the NetBIOS name, IP or FQDN of the computer you
wish to connect to and help the user who is locally logged onto it.)

3. Shortly, you should have a shadow'd session with the third computer.

My understanding was that if the above was followed, it should work as
advertised.

I would like to ask if there are other caveats I left out or if there are
steps I took to the extreme?

For example:

- Is it necessary for the first computer you are remoting WITH to be in the
domain?
- If the user on the third (to be shadowed) computer is an administrator,
will they be asked for permission?
- Does "Offer Remote Assistance" also need to be enabled on the domain to
accomplish the shadow or does that have no bearing on the outcome?

My experience so far has been (admittedly, I just finally tried it today)
that even though I can offer remote assistance on my domain and it asks the
end-user for their permission - when I try the shadowing trick, it is still
asking the end-user for their permission.

Not that I see anything WRONG with the above scenario - in most cases,
asking permission is the way it likely should happen, for legal reasons.
However, I would like comments from people using the shadowing now without
it asking permission.

--
<- Shenan ->

Hmm - I'm going to have to test, and haven't yet. Thanks for putting both
those links together.

I see some issues with the information presented. I believe the whole
shadowing discussion is in relation to Remote Desktop, and not Remote
Assistance--I expect Remote Assistance to ALWAYS require an assent from the
user at the workstation you are assisting--Offer Remote Assistance just
removes the need for the invitation token, not the assent.

Whether a second RD session is possible in XP SP2 is controversial--my
understanding is that such a session is used by Media Center Extender
devices, but that it is carefully restricted in some way so that it isn't
useful unless you are such a device. I've never met one of these critters,
so I don't know more.

I'm interested in this, but can't guess when I'll get to actually trying it
out--I've got meetings tonight and a childe home sick.

Bill Sanderson wrote:
> Hmm - I'm going to have to test, and haven't yet. Thanks for putting
> both those links together.
>
> I see some issues with the information presented. I believe the whole
> shadowing discussion is in relation to Remote Desktop, and not Remote
> Assistance--I expect Remote Assistance to ALWAYS require an assent
> from the user at the workstation you are assisting--Offer Remote
> Assistance just removes the need for the invitation token, not the
> assent.
> Whether a second RD session is possible in XP SP2 is controversial--my
> understanding is that such a session is used by Media Center Extender
> devices, but that it is carefully restricted in some way so that it
> isn't useful unless you are such a device. I've never met one of
> these critters, so I don't know more.
>
> I'm interested in this, but can't guess when I'll get to actually
> trying it out--I've got meetings tonight and a childe home sick.

Hey.. I appreciate the response. Whenever you get to it, that would be
great.. I may be able to do further testing tomorrow myself. I will post
whatever happens.

I believe you are correct about Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop being
separate issues, it was just the same "acknowledgement request" on the
client that made me connect them together this time.

Maybe someone else who has already tried this (or better yet - has it
working?) might respond to both of us. =)

--
<- Shenan ->

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Hey.. I appreciate the response. Whenever you get to it, that would
> be great.. I may be able to do further testing tomorrow myself. I
> will post whatever happens.
>
> I believe you are correct about Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop
> being separate issues, it was just the same "acknowledgement request"
> on the client that made me connect them together this time.
>
> Maybe someone else who has already tried this (or better yet - has it
> working?) might respond to both of us. =)

I didn't get to test much, but I can say that the "acknowledgement requet"