Question sharing network/internet over 500ft distance ?

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
Hi

I have att&t network router/hot spot. It's a mofi4500-gxeltev2 that has 4 Ethernet ports.
I also have 2 other netgear routers. N150 and ac750 r6050.
I ordered 1,000ft cat 6 cca https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ETLP4WO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ( can always return)

The land in between the house and garage is about 550ft and has trees about every 10-12ft.
should I run all 3 routers point to point ? I just would use solar panels/battery's to run the routers.
Or run just the cat6 or a combination ?

I'm open for any suggestions.

Return that cable as fast as you can. It is CCA cable which is not certified cable. Ie it is fake cable. Ethernet can only go 100 meters..ie 300ft or so. CCA cable does not run even that far.

So if you have clear line of site you can use wifi ptp bridge units. If the trees block too much then it won't work.

Your only other option is to run fiber. What is normally done is direct bury fiber that has metal conduit protection. The problem with this is getting the ends put on the fiber. It takes special tools and skills to put the connectors on fiber. Once you get the fiber it is easy you hook it to switches with fiber optic ports. You could run the fiber at 10g if you really wanted to.

Hopefully you have clear line of sight.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
Return that cable as fast as you can. It is CCA cable which is not certified cable. Ie it is fake cable. Ethernet can only go 100 meters..ie 300ft or so. CCA cable does not run even that far.

So if you have clear line of site you can use wifi ptp bridge units. If the trees block too much then it won't work.

Your only other option is to run fiber. What is normally done is direct bury fiber that has metal conduit protection. The problem with this is getting the ends put on the fiber. It takes special tools and skills to put the connectors on fiber. Once you get the fiber it is easy you hook it to switches with fiber optic ports. You could run the fiber at 10g if you really wanted to.

Hopefully you have clear line of sight.
TY.. Will return the crap Ethernet..
I can't see past 250ft of trees. I could up load a picture of sky view of trees. LOL looks like a forest. . So I might have to go with fiber ?
Any Idea of what hardware cost ruffly is(tools, cable, devices) ?

Last edited:
The poe switch method midspan will work but I have always had issues finding equipment. The issue always is finding something that you can get power to that you can keep dry without it overheating. I do not know about the nanoswitch I have never used it. It appears to be a outdoor unit which is good. The concern I have is it uses 24volt PoE. The reason the standard form of PoE 802.11af uses 48volts is to allow it to provide the power it needs at the full 100meter ethernet distance. The higher the voltage the more power you get with the same number of amps. The amps are limited by the size and length of the wire. This gets massively complex to figure out which is why the standard 802.11af is so nice. You know equipment is designed to function at maximum cable lengths and will work.

I am not sure if ubiquiti states a maximum distance for there systems. All these are pretty much proprietary. If they don't what you need to see how many watts of power the device needs to function. Then calculate the voltage drops based on that power need and the cable length. You need to make sure that the injector can provide enough voltage at the amp rating you need. The brute force approach is to take meters and measure it but if it does not provide enough power you are kinda stuck because you already purchased everything.

It is a option but is complex to figure out unless the manufacture states it will work for this function.....and I am too lazy to read all the stuff on ubiquiti site. They are a good company and it likely is documented someplace.

Note this is also a reason never to buy ethernet cable that is CCA. Pure copper cable can carry power much father than the copper clad aluminum. This is partially why CCA cable is not certified cable.

The fiber option really is one of those things you hire someone to do. You might cut the costs by digging the trench and maybe buying and laying the armored fiber yourself. The trench is the big cost and majority of the work. Terminating fiber take lots of training really. The tools are not extremely expensive it is knowing how to use them. When you consider just touching the end of a fiber and getting a finger print on the end will cut the performance it is critical to know what you are doing.

Another option that I do not have links for at this time is called "ethernet extender". Be careful there are lots of things called this. What you are looking for is a device that is designed to use telephone wire to extend network over a long distance. It is a form of private DSL. It has been a while since I looked at these device so I forget the details. It will easily go the distance you have I forget the data rates since that is based on the distance. I would think it would be pretty fast considering how fast dsl would be at that distance.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
The fiber option really is one of those things you hire someone to do. You might cut the costs by digging the trench and maybe buying and laying the armored fiber yourself. The trench is the big cost and majority of the work. Terminating fiber take lots of training really. The tools are not extremely expensive it is knowing how to use them. When you consider just touching the end of a fiber and getting a finger print on the end will cut the performance it is critical to know what you are doing.

Another option that I do not have links for at this time is called "ethernet extender". Be careful there are lots of things called this. What you are looking for is a device that is designed to use telephone wire to extend network over a long distance. It is a form of private DSL. It has been a while since I looked at these device so I forget the details. It will easily go the distance you have I forget the data rates since that is based on the distance. I would think it would be pretty fast considering how fast dsl would be at that distance.

Well poh. I have a road in between house and garage that is an es-mint. I originally figured I would just run the ethernet from tree to tree over the road.
I mainly only need the garage to brows internet. I get 35-42mbs and 29-41ms latency. What wuld hapen If I just ran a 550ft direct burial ethernet ?

kanewolf

Titan
Well poh. I have a road in between house and garage that is an es-mint. I originally figured I would just run the ethernet from tree to tree over the road.
I mainly only need the garage to brows internet. I get 35-42mbs and 29-41ms latency. What wuld hapen If I just ran a 550ft direct burial ethernet ?
It wouldn't work. You are exceeding the maximum ethernet distance by 200ft. 100m is the maximum distance. That would be why you have to have something about 90m away.

How much speed do you need? If 100Mbit is good enough you could try MOCA. The lower frequency MOCA the better (there is MOCA that is faster than 100Mbit but it struggles at lengths beyond 300ft). Anyway check out the below adapters. People have used them at 500ft with good success. I use some in my home, but not at that length. Anyway they might be worth a shot. Just use an RG6 cable between the house and garage. Make sure the terminations are grounded properly to avoid ground differential problems.
https://www.amazon.com/PACK-Broadba...01AYMGPIO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

If you specifically wanted a unit like above but designed for long distances you could try two of these but they are more expensive:
https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Mid...rds=moca&qid=1557459111&s=electronics&sr=1-58

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
How much speed do you need? If 100Mbit is good enough you could try MOCA. The lower frequency MOCA the better (there is MOCA that is faster than 100Mbit but it struggles at lengths beyond 300ft). Anyway check out the below adapters. People have used them at 500ft with good success. I use some in my home, but not at that length. Anyway they might be worth a shot. Just use an RG6 cable between the house and garage. Make sure the terminations are grounded properly to avoid ground differential problems.
https://www.amazon.com/PACK-Broadba...01AYMGPIO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I probably would be ok with 1-3mbps for internet browsing. So the Broadband Ethernet generation would let me to rune 500ft of RG6 cable ?