SharpLL-T1820 & EN-8500

hardcore4life

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2002
I was going to buy Sharp LL-T1820 because I heard it's a great monitor for graphics work and has 10-bit gamma correction. I do image editing primarily on my computer, but also some gaming, so I was naturally interested in the FFD technology that I first found out about on these forums. The new EN-8500 monitor will have a pixel-response of 16ms according the the links on these forums, which is equivalent to ~60hz, while the sharp has a response of 25ms which is ~40hz. My question is, should I wait for the FFD monitor or buy the Sharp now? Are games at 25ms still OK to play, or too blurry/ghosting?

Also, if anyone knows if the EN-8500 will display colors too bright and oversaturated like some bad LCDs and only be good to play games? Even thought the Sharp costs $1300, and the EN-8500 should cost ~$700(?), the Sharp looks like a good balance between games and graphics quality to me.

And one more question for you guys: what's so good about the Dell 2000fp, is it better than the Sharp?

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
If you do image editing you will not believe how much better the images will be with the gamma correction of the LL-T1820. The LL-T1820 does fine in games, most people cannot perceive ghosting on 25ms LCD’s especially those with the Sharp panels.

Another benefit of the LL-T1820 is the zero voltage black they use. Basically if there is a dead pixel (no manufacture can guarantee a defect free panel), the pixel will stay dark. Bright pixels are far more annoying than dark ones. Sharp guarantees no bright dead pixels on this unit.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Monitorsdirect.com

<A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">MonitorsDirect.com</A>

NoTiG

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2002
Only bad thing is it's like 1,300$ right?

Also can anyong BESIDES graphics professionals take advantage of the 10 bit gamma correction?

hardcore4life

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2002
Thanks for the info, I will probably be ordering the Sharp from your site, which is really nice by the way, soon.

Is there any difference between the T1620 & the T1820 other than screen size? (the 16in. is 1/2 the price of the 18.1in !?)

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
The 1820 has the 10 bit gamma correction the 1620 does not.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Monitorsdirect.com

NoTiG

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2002
Sorry i don't understand.... Will your video card be able to handl 1 billion colors? I think crt's have 32 million and LCD have 16 million but ive never heard of a performance issue between them. So i assume that you will benefit from more colors to at least that of CRT , and the sharpness on LCD's are better so the image will beat CRT. but how far past 32 million(if thats correct). The reviews keep saying "designed for professional image designer" so i got the impression that you can only use 1 billion colors from specific program generated illustraions like photoshop.

Also, I have never seen you say gaming on an LCD is OK :)

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
The 1 billion colors is really miss leading (Marketing hype), You get 16.7M colors. The difference is with gamma correction you simply get more intermediate steps in the colors, thus they look smoother in areas where the shades transition. So technically no video controller or monitor support 16 billion colors.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Monitorsdirect.com