sharring storage drives

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
im working on a dual pc setup, one for htpc and the other for work. i was wondering if theres any way i can share data between the two.

i currently have a similar setup, using the built in microsoft network software. but that only works when both computer are running at the same time.

thanks for any suggestions/help

lilsage

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
I doubt there is a way unless both are running.

However, can get transfer cables... I believe they are a special USB cable meant to connect two machines that are next to each other. Their main use is to transfer data from one machine to the other for upgrade purposes... but I think that could work for you.

If the HD's are SATA could always get a couple of eSATA cards (if case doesn't already have) then can get an external SATA enclousre that supports eSATA... then just swap the cable between the two machines... connected to the same HD. It's expensive... but trying to offer options.

Could get an external HD anyways and just use it to back up and transfer data between the two machines.

Can share the computers on a home network and just turn off the second machine when not activly using it.

That's the best I got at the moment

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
thanks for the reply, i think ill go the home network route; keeping all my data on the work pc and having it run nearly 24/7. after all being a work pc it wont need any power hungry components.

i was also thinking about using a server to connect the two, but not knowing much (if anything at all) about servers im not sure how similar or beneficial it is to using a home network