[SOLVED] short circuit my system, but working, burnt chip

1troy2me

Reputable
Mar 21, 2019
Hi all
Advice anyone please, i got asus prime z370, i had a fan deep cool fan hub and decided to add another fan, in low light i managed to plug a 3 pin fan across 2 headers, switch on and my pc starting smoking for the first time, i saw my motherboard smoke, quickly switched off and realized my careless mistake. Inspection and a chip of some type beside the 24pin power connector on motherboard had a burn bubble. to my surprise this board all still works. But there is a lot of good components and dont want to use this board risking if it dies causing more damage. What damage if any could there be to other areas, should i re-use cpu etc with new motherboard and power supply?

Last edited:
Solution
If the mainboard burned, it is quite possible the PSU , which handled whatever surge occurred to the point of melting a few things, and CPU are quite possibly still fine....

As the components are still working now, there is no reason to suspect they'd have any issues being used again on a new/unmelted mainboard... :)
If the mainboard burned, it is quite possible the PSU , which handled whatever surge occurred to the point of melting a few things, and CPU are quite possibly still fine....

As the components are still working now, there is no reason to suspect they'd have any issues being used again on a new/unmelted mainboard... :)

Solution