[SOLVED] Should Cinebench R23 throttle Noctua NH-d15 with 13700k (non oc) ?

SuneDK

Honorable
Jun 2, 2016
Program: Cinebench R23
10minute throttle test, but it starts throttling after a minute only, then it kinda shifts in and out of throttling repeatedly and I was worried to let the full 10 minutes complete, so I stopped it..(is it safe to let it finish? even though its hitting 100c?)
https://ibb.co/4p45kMJ

i7 13700k (not overclocked, default settings)
Noctua NH-D15 chromax black (standard fan curve)
Corsair 4000D (not airflow version...)
Asus z790-plus wifi ddr5
Fury renegade 6000mhz ram (32gb)
Asus 4080 tuf 16gb

Solution
I was hoping someone else would also join in on the conversation...but yes the fans are oriented in the right manner, and from what I can tell from the BIOS screen the CPU cooler's fans are hooked to CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT on the motherboard. To add you only have two case fans, one to draw air in and one to draw air out. Lastly, the lowest temp you're seeing on HWinfo/HWMonitor would indicate that there's no film left between the cooling block and the IHS of the CPU.

Lutfij

Titan
Does removing the front panel/fascia to the case, change your temps? Are both fans aimed in the same direction, blowing the air towards the back of the case and the rear case fan is set to exhaust? There's also the possibility that the protective peel under the cooler wasn't removed, has happened to the best of us, mind you. What are the fans speeds for your Noctua cooler?

Reactions: SuneDK

SuneDK

Honorable
Jun 2, 2016
Does removing the front panel/fascia to the case, change your temps? Are both fans aimed in the same direction, blowing the air towards the back of the case and the rear case fan is set to exhaust? There's also the possibility that the protective peel under the cooler wasn't removed, has happened to the best of us, mind you. What are the fans speeds for your Noctua cooler?

1st, thanks for the quick response:)

I didn't build it, so I'm not sure about the cover being left on or not, is it something I can check without removing the tower cooler?
I just selected all the parts for it and then it was assembled by MMVision pc builders (danish company)

From what I can tell opening it up, they all draw air towards the back of the case, 4 fans total, the front fan draws in, the 2 cpu fans both seem to also draw and the chassis fan on the back same thing.

Let me do a quick phone picture to see if you agree with what i'm saying hehe, i hope its not garbage quality:
LEnE94e.jpg

2nd pic

FOj0Nmf.jpg

3rd

iWN4fxW.jpg

4th
3DwBPbp.jpg

Removing the front and sidepanel did have a small effect, but I also undervolted by 0.050v, now it no longer throttles on the 10min test.
Still seems like it shouldn't need an undervolt on standard settings with a noctua nh-d15? or am I wrong?

throttle-test 10min with the undervolt and no sidepanel/no frontpanel:

fPGjbVu.png

Modern motherboards and processors are designed to tolerate heat and run full out.
They turbo up to 100c. and back off a bit to maintain the best possible performance.
That is normal operation.
If your main use of this pc is running cinebench, then that is one thing.
If your main use is gaming, then only a few cores will be topping out and heat generation will be less.
Read this article on running a 13900K with less than top coolers.
I think it largely applies to 13700K also:
https://www.tomshardware.com/features/intel-core-13900k-cooling-tested
As above, check that your front air intake is sufficient to feed both the cpu and gpu coolers. Looks like one could add a fan to the intake.

SuneDK

Honorable
Jun 2, 2016
Modern motherboards and processors are designed to tolerate heat and run full out.
They turbo up to 100c. and back off a bit to maintain the best possible performance.
That is normal operation.
If your main use of this pc is running cinebench, then that is one thing.
If your main use is gaming, then only a few cores will be topping out and heat generation will be less.
Read this article on running a 13900K with less than top coolers.
I think it largely applies to 13700K also:
https://www.tomshardware.com/features/intel-core-13900k-cooling-tested

Hey and thanks for the link :)

I do video editing/renders (premiere pro, photoshop etc), but I also game plenty with friends and figured the NH-d15 was appropriate cooling, since I wanted to stay on AIR cooling.

My last image with cinebench results in the main post is where I'm currently at after undervolting by 0.050V.

SuneDK

Honorable
Jun 2, 2016

Does fans airflow etc seem okay?

Lutfij

Titan
I was hoping someone else would also join in on the conversation...but yes the fans are oriented in the right manner, and from what I can tell from the BIOS screen the CPU cooler's fans are hooked to CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT on the motherboard. To add you only have two case fans, one to draw air in and one to draw air out. Lastly, the lowest temp you're seeing on HWinfo/HWMonitor would indicate that there's no film left between the cooling block and the IHS of the CPU.

Solution
I believe the case is insufficient considering the cpu being used.

I would suggest leaving the side panels on and pull of the front panel. Run Cinebench and see what the temps are.

The 4000D with the front tempered glass is very restrictive concering airflow.

I've built a few pc's in my time and what they did with your gpu power cables is not wise either. They have prevented some airflow to the cpu cooler with the cables in front of the fan. The gpu power cables should be run under the gpu.

mahanddeem

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
I have a 13700k (stock and best case scenario VID setting in BIOS, with enforced all Intel limits) and use Noctua D15
Gaming is 50c to 65c
Heavy benching (Cinebench) up to 82c

I have a good case though, the thermaltake ceres 500 TG